thirty-two; a very glee christmas

With Christmas just around the corner, it was time for the glee club to do something Christmas related. Winona couldn't bring herself to be excited about it, considering her mother was going to be there the whole time. As everyone sang around their cute little misfit Christmas tree, Winona was half-heartedly singing, staring off into space as she pictured how terrible this week would be.

For the most part, she was mad at her mother. First, Bonnie has an affair, then she runs off to Cali for years, and now, she has the nerve to show up unexpectedly— completely confusing everyone. Bonnie was invading the only place her daughter felt safe and accepted, even though Winona clearly didn't want her around.

"Hey, guys. What's this?" Mr. Schue queried as he walked through the door, snapping Winona out of her thoughts.

"We're trying to get into the Christmas spirit, Mr. Schue," Finn drew on, "Christmas is totally my favorite holiday, and check out this awesome tree."

Everyone further examined the ugly tree. It was littered with tattered ornaments and Winona swore she could see puddle water dripping off some of the branches. It was hideous, but they made it work— it kind of represented them in some way.

"I found it on the side of the road, it must have fell off some guy's car."

"And the ornaments?" Mr. Schue went on.

"The guy who lives next door finally killed off his elderly mother. When they carted him off, they left the house wide open," Explained Santana, shrugging, "I think she was a holiday hoarder."

"Uh- And the presents?"

"I lifted them from a display at the mall.
But don't worry. They're empty," Answered Puck, poking one of them with his foot.

Mr. Schuester frowned, "Guys, I appreciate the effort, but this isn't what Christmas is supposed to be like."

"For us it is," Mercedes shot back, "This tree is like a mascot for Glee Club. We won sectionals two years in a row— and according to everyone at this school, we still suck."

"I am not gonna let you guys throw yourselves a pity party."

"Who said anything about a pity party?" Winona questioned, a hand on her hip and a neutral expression on her face.

"Look, I'm the first one to say that things haven't turned out exactly how I would have liked them to this year. . But Christmas is all about being grateful for the things that did. And this year—"

"Sorry I'm late!" Bonnie exclaimed as she ran through the choir room's doorway. Winona tensed, avoiding eye contact as everyone turned to her with confused gazes.

"Who's this Veronica Mars lookin' lady?" Puck asked, cocking a brow and biting his lip. Winona cringed— no way was Puck about to try and sleep with her mom.

"This is Bonnie Fogarty-Watts, everyone! She's here to help us with this week, which is—"

"Fogarty-Watts? Like. . Winona Watts?" Artie asked with the cock of his brow.

"Yeah! She's my daughter!" Bonnie chirped cheerily. Winona forced a feeble smile and nodded as everyone looked over to her.

As her peers looked back at Mr. Schue and Bonnie, her smile immediately fell into a scowl.

Mr. Schue whistled once to catch everyone's attention, "Guys, focus! Bonnie, how about you tell the kids what our Christmas plan is?"

"Glee Club is gonna lend a hand to the Homeless Children and Youth Program right here in Lima!"

"How are we gonna do that?" Questioned Rachel.

"The only way we know how. . by singing about it!" Schuester continued, "We're gonna go classroom to classroom, caroling to raise money."