thirty-one; special education

— i realized that because winona is the 13th member of the new directions, once matt left, they wouldn't NEED to recruit new members to be able to compete. please ignore this fact as i have no way around it 😔 thank u <3

It had been a solid few days without Kurt. Terrible days. It was just painfully gloomy all around. Even Santana, the most heartless of bitches, was sad about it. Still, with sectionals coming up so soon, they knew they had to get their heads in the game and power through this, despite their loss of a teammate.

"Mr. Schuester, I have an announcement. I've selected the perfect moving ballad for Finn and I to sing to launch our performance at Sectionals," Rachel beamed, rising from her seat as Mr. Schue entered the choir room.

"Me first. Two things," He told her, instructing her to have a seat, "First, our competition at Sectionals are your classic stool choirs. Great voices, but they don't move. Now if we're gonna beat them, we need to do what they can't. Dance. Which is why I've decided to feature Brittany and Mike Chang's sweet moves in our performance."

Winona perked up, offering Mike a high five. He and Brittany totally deserved the spotlight for their epic dancing.

"Wait, they're gonna dance in front of me while I sing my solo?" Rachel questioned, almost everyone rolling their eyes at her.

"You're not getting a solo for this competition Rachel. I was thinking that the winners of our duets competition would take the leads."

Winona gasped quietly, a big smile forming on her face. She was finally getting what she really wanted. The spotlight. Looking over at Sam, he was beaming a big smile while Quinn happy celebrated with him. Winona felt a little relief knowing that Quinn was okay with her doing a duet with her boyfriend.

"Ken and Barbie? Wait, are—are you trying to throw this?" Rachel spat, Winona resisting the urge to strangle her.

"You used to be just sort of unlikeable, but now, I pretty much feel like punching you every time you open your mouth," Quinn hissed, defending Sam and Winona.

"Okay, listen, I have talked the talk about everyone in here feeling special for over a year now, but frankly I haven't walked the walk."

"You can say that again," Winona mumbled bitterly.

"We have got a lot of talent here, and I'm gonna highlight it," Announced Mr. Schue with a smile.

Rachel started whispering to Finn, prompting him to speak up.

"Look, I'm all for. . pumping up the team, making everyone feel special, but that's for practice," He started, everyone rolling their eyes, "You don't take the star quarterback out before the big game."

"Easy to say when you're the star quarterback."

"This isn't just about me, this is about the team," He continued. Winona was aware that Rachel started it, but she was kinda mad at Finn for advocating against her getting her time to shine. She sat back in her seat, frustrated and with her arms crossed.

"You are such a hypocrite," Began Santana.

Rachel scoffed, "Oh, like you even know what that means!"

"It means that your boyfriend is full of crap, hobbit."

"You know what? Ever since the wedding you've been up my butt and I am sick of it!" Rachel exclaimed, Santana smirking at the way she was getting under her skin. Winona looked to Sam and Quinn, who were smiling at her as if the argument in front of them wasn't going on. 

"C'mon Rachel, she's not worth it."

"Oh really? Cuz that's not what you thought last year in that motel room," Santana boasted, turning to Rachel, "That's right Yentl, your sweetheart? He's been lying to you, cuz he and I totally got it on last year."