fourteen; hell-o

Winona hoped winning sectionals would make her and her friends a little more popular, but as she watched Rachel, Kurt and Mercedes get a slushee to the face changed her mind. Clearly, they were still the losers at the bottom of the high school food chain.

Apparently Rachel considered Winona a good friend now, because she dragged her to see Finn's basketball game. He wasn't very good, but he was trying to find something to fill the football-sized hole in his heart. The season was over, and now he just felt lost. Winona wasn't completely filled in on all the hot gossip, but she easily concluded he was dating Rachel now— despite the fact that she was sure he never actually asked her out. As Finn went for a layup and got blocked, Rachel stood up, jumping and pointing proudly.

"That's my boyfriend!"

Winona felt the second hand embarassment in the air. Finn pretended he didn't hear it, going back to poorly playing the basketball game.

( — )

"What do you guys say when you answer the phone?" Mr. Schuester inquired with his hands on his hips.

"What up?" Mercedes spoke into her hand, which she made to look like a phone.

"Who dis be?" Artie said smoothly, Winona scoffing at how silly that was.

"No, she's dead, this is her son." Kurt said, eyes fixed on the floor. Everyone paused. That was kinda morbid.

"Ooookay," Mr. Schue broke the silence, "Alexander Graham Bell, inventor of the telephone, liked to say, "ahoy, ahoy" when he answered the phone. It was Edison who decided that "hello" was a more appropriate greeting."

Everyone looked at him with varying confused expressions.

"Look. I am really proud of what you guys did at sectionals. But, as most of you have realized by now, it hasn't made a bit of difference in your day-to-day at school."

"I have a slushie-stained training bra to prove it," Rachel butted in, Winona looking over at her with furrowed brows.

"A training bra?"

"Not all of us stuff, Winona."

"Oh, she doesn't stuff," Artie said knowingly, shrugging casually. Everyone looked over at him, narrowing their eyes as Winona nudged him in the side with her elbow.

Mr. Schue sighed, continuing as he introduced the easy assigment before dismissing the class.

Winona knew what song she was gonna sing the second she hit shuffle on her ipod and the song came on. Hello, It's Me by Todd Rundgren. She decided it was simply the way to go.

Her performance in front of the glee club was passionate and confident. By the end of it, her breaths were heavy and she was eager to sit down. The positive attention was really nice, and the group really seemed to like her. Artie high fived her as she took her seat.

"Incredible, Winona! That is the type of performance I want to see from all of you guys this week," Mr. Schue announced proudly, smiling over at her.

( — )

Seeing Finn perform Hello, I Love You was, certainly an interesting experience for Winona. She was absolutely into it, having a similar reaction to Kurt's. The two of them tried to regain their composure as Finn walked around the glee club kids and sang the song with a his half smirk. He stopped at Winona, singing part of the chorus to her. She couldn't help but smile, feeling all blushy at the short-lived serenade.