thirty-eight; original song

"Guys, I've got some bad news. You know how we decided on Sing by My Chemical Romance for Regionals. Well, I hold in my hand a cease and desist letter from the band. We can't do it," Announced Mr. Schue with a frown.

"Ugh, it was the perfect anthem," Puck whined with a sigh.

"How much do you wanna bet Coach Sylvester had something to do with this?"

Winona, along with everyone else, came to the same conclusion-- that was definitely the case.

"So, what are we gonna do now?" Queried Winona, leaning back in her chair.

Rachel put her hand up, "like I said-- we should write original songs for Regionals."

"All those in favor of voting Rachel down a second time?"

"No, I think Rachel's right. This team works best when we push ourselves and do something a little different," Quinn cut in, everyone sending her a confused expression.

"I'm with Quinn and Rachel. I mean, if these two can agree on something it's probably an idea worth considering," Finn brought up, looking to Winona to see if she agreed. While she was reluctant, she was still nodding along, making him smile.

"So, suddenly you two are writing the music for Regionals? No way. I think that everyone should get a chance to write a song."

"Santana's right," Added Sam, "we can do this."

Mercedes seemed hesitant, turning to her teacher, "What do you think Mr. Schue?"

"I think we're doing original song for Regionals."

There was a chorus of varying agreement mumbles, everyone dispersing afterwards.

"You look unjoyus to write a song," Finn looked down at Winona.

"I'm pretty sure unjoyus isn't a word," Winona said with a small smile, admiring how confidently he would just spit out words that probably didn't exist, "but I'm definitely not excited. Songwriting isn't my thing, I'm having serious doubts about this."

Finn put his hands on her shoulders, smiling down at her, "Come on, Winnie, you're the most talented person I know. If there's anyone who can write this club a hit song-- it's you."

"You're the sweetest." Trying not to blush, Winona pecked his cheek and smiled up at him, before they went their separate ways to different classes.

( — — )

Winona sat in the library, trying her best to write whatever lyrics came to mind, but it wasn't going so well. Other than a couple scribbles and bored doodles, the pages were blank. After a while of just staring at the page, someone approached, standing over her.

"Can I help you Finnie?" She asked tiredly, not looking up from her paper.

"Not Finn," The voice spoke, Winona having to do a double take, "someone way cooler."

Jesse stood before her, smirking. She got out of her seat and wrapped him in a little hug.

"What are you doing here?"

"Wow, sounds like you really missed me," He remarked sarcastically, patting her back. They pulled away, both taking a seat as Jesse looked over her paper, "I'm in town for a bit, if you must know."

"Oh, cool."

"I heard you guys are writing songs for Regionals, interesting choice."

"It sucks, but you know Rachel," She shrugged, "if she wants to do something, we do it."