Chapter 3

We can only be hurt by those we love.

•|•|•|•|•

Sandra picks up the remote to change it to another station/channel when she sees Ken on the screen.

"Ken?" She says confused.
She increases the volume.

"...the police has just apprehended a notorious kidnapping gang just this afternoon. This gang kidnapped Miss Teni Adelaide on Monday and just today,were apprehended by the police" the reporter says "this are the kidnappers".

Five of the kidnappers are shown and Ken is among them. Sandra falls on the couch in shock.

"Even Juwon is among them..." She manages to say. She begins to cry, "how could you Ken?".

At the police station,Sandra comes to see Ken. "Who are you here to see?" A police man asked.

"Ken Oyediran, he is my husband" Sandra answered.

"Oh! That kidnapper, hold on" the policeman exclaimed in realisation. Sandra bit her lip in embarrassment and the officer talked to another policeman. Soon, Sandra is allowed to see Ken. She waits in a small room while two policemen bring him to Sandra.

"Sandra..." He starts.

"Save it" Sandra says raising her hand in front of him. Tears threaten to spill from her eyes, "you don't know how hard it is to restrain myself from slapping you".

"You have humiliated us, destroyed our image and ruined your life. How could you do this to your family?" Sandra cried.

"Sandra, I–".

"How could you kidnap someone? Why? What made you do it?" Sandra interrupted.

"I was tired of poverty Sandra. I had suffered for so long,lacking all I ever wanted" Ken explained helplessly, "I didn't want that life for my family".

"Did you think how we would feel when we discovered the money we spent was a ransom?" Sandra sniffed, "I prefer to have lived in poverty than spend illegal money. Money I didn't earn the right way".

"It is not that easy".

"So what?! We would have found a way...but no,you had to use a shortcut" Sandra argued, "we have two children, what do I tell them?"

"Nothing, they don't have to know".

"Do you even feel remorse for your actions? Do you know the mess we are in because of you?!" Sandra cried.

"I didn't mean for any of this to happen. I only wanted a better life for my family" Ken said sadly.

"Do you really love me Ken?" Sandra asked with tears in her eyes.

Ken looks at her sadly "you know I do Sandra. I did all this for you,I know it was wrong but it was for you, for our children".

"You shouldn't have done it Ken. No matter your financial situation, I would have stuck by you" Sandra said ruefully.

"Please,you have to get me out of here. Get a lawyer, call someone" Ken pleads.

"I will try to Ken" Sandra said.

At the house, Aramide and Moyo return home. "Mommy, where is daddy?" Aramide asks.

"Um, daddy went on a business trip but he will be back soon" Sandra forced a smile. Aramide and Moyo go inside to change.

Sandra sighs and tries to hold back the tears. She hears police sirens.

"No,oh no" Sandra muttered and rushes outside. A police van drives into the compound and policemen come out.