Chapter 20

"Where are we going now? You heading to work?" I asked Anthony. We just stopped and got something to eat and were now on the highway.

     "No, I'm taking the day off. I'm going to a fundraiser that my grandmom is hosting" he informed me, all the while paying attention to the road.

    "Oh, what kind of fundraiser is it?"

  "It's one of the Adams Enterprise's Charities. We try to support veterans who have served and are now retired, but that's just the one we're attending today. We have another Charity for Orphans and small kids and teens who have it hard at their own home. So today we're having a kind of cookout style fundraiser" he says and smiles proudly to himself.

     "That sounds nice. You said your grandmother will be hosting?" I ask, recalling he had mentioned this less than a minute ago but it was just now registering.

      "Yes. Estelle Granger, she's my father's mother. She's the most strong willed woman I know and she is so fun and full of life for her age" he says and I could feel the love as he spoke.

     "She sounds like a wonderful woman" I say honestly. "I've got a surprise for you as well, but you'll see when we get there" he says to me and this just gets my mind working.

    A surprise? What could that be? I hate it when people tell me that they have something to say to me or that they have a surprise for me, it gets me all worked up, wondering what it could possibly be.

     "Its no big deal Eloise, I can sense you're getting tense. There's no need for that" he says in a reassuring tone and I try my best to relax but still was on edge.

    After almost an hour on the highway we finally take an exit and I realize we have completely left the area where I lived and was in a completely different town upstate.

      We drive until we approach a huge iron gate. Anthony spoke into a speaker and the gate opened automatically.

    I pull down the visor and look into the mirror that was on it. I pulled the scrunchie from my hair and ran my fingers through it, allowing it to fall in its waves down my back.

      I took a baby wipe from my purse and wiped my face then applied a light coat of lip gloss.

     When I was done with checking my appearance I noticed that we had parked and Anthony was sitting in his seat and looking at me with a smile on his face.

    "Oh, I'm sorry about that. I was just-"

   "Eloise, it's no problem at all. You dont need to be apologizing so often for the slightest things. I like that you are getting more comfortable and at ease around me. That's a good thing" he says, cutting off my statement.

    I smile and he speaks again. "Remember I said I have a surprise for you?" he asked. "How could I forget, it was eating me alive inside" I chuckled.

    "Well it's coming. Look" he says and points out my window. I turn to where he was pointing and my smile widens.

     Cassie was skipping towards the vehicle, her blonde hair bouncing as she hopped. I noticed Alejandro walking along behind her with a smile on his face, filled with affection, almost like it was love. I'm so happy for Cassie.

    "Cassie!" I shout in excitement as I opened the door and was about to jump out. "Woah Eloise, slow down there" he says and he reaches over and unbuckles my seatbelt for me.

    I felt embarrassed but he smiled at me, alleviating my embarrassment. "Remember you need to be more careful now love, go ahead" he says and he proceeds to exit the vehicle on his side.