Chapter 1

The sun rose above the grey clouds, barely shedding enough light onto the streets. Today is gonna be a cold, rainy day.

     "Elly, time to go!"

  "Hold on will ya!" I shouted back. I finished putting on my old beaten up Doc Martens boots and pulled my hair into a ponytail.

   Grabbing my messenger back from the floor I entered the living room.

    Cassie and Cammy sat on the couch, Cassie putting her twin sister's hair into a fish tail braid.

    The twins and I are best friends. We ran away from foster care and have been living together since they were 15 and I was 14. We're all each other has. So now at the ages of 23 and 24 we had a bond no one could break.

    Cassandra is the more outspoken of the two. With her waist length blonde hair that she always wore straightened and her chocolate brown eyes, she was a very pretty girl.

    Cameron, however being identical to her sister, she preferred her hair braided or in a ponytail, away from her face, showing off her sparkling hazel eyes. She was not a shy person, but her sister still held more confidence in certain situations.

   I on the other hand was somewhere in between when it came to confidence and self esteem. I know I am beautiful but I dont flaunt it and I prefer to stay on the sidelines.

   My dark blonde, almost brown, hair was in a ponytail and fell in it's natural curl pattern. I had dark green eyes that sometimes had a yellowish tint in certain lightings.

   Cassie always encouraged me to wear dark eyeliners and mascara, saying it enhances my eyes, but I preferred not to wear makeup.

   "Ready to go?" Cammy asked as she stood up, brushing any loose hairs that may have fell unto her clothes.

  "Yup".

  We got up and exited the small two bedroom apartment. It was very small, only having two bedrooms and a bathroom with a hall that led to the front door. In that hall we had a small crappy couch and a small stove against one wall, leaving us with limited walking space. It is what we could afford though, so we made the best of it.

    I closed the door behind us and we all headed down to the bus stop. As we exited the apartment complex a large rat ran across Cameron's shoes, resulting in a loud shriek.

   I hate when that happens. All sorts of rodents and insects creep and crawl around these parts, I cant wait for the day when life takes a turn for the better.

   Just as this thought crosses my mind the rain begins to pour. We ran the remaining distance to the bus stop only getting a little damp.

  I sigh and hope for the best as we wait on the number 3 bus.

                               ~ ~ ~

    "Elly, can I have some help please?" Sally called to me. Sally was a coworker of mine. We were both waitresses at a small coffee shop.

   I walked over to her and helped her lift a tray filled with four cups of coffee and then handed her the other tray that had two stacks of pancakes in the other hand.

   She smiled and walked away as I went back to my duty of the day, cleaning tables.

   "Goodmorning Mr. Taylor, how's it going?" I asked Mr. Taylor. He was a very old man, about 90 years old. He came here every morning for breakfast with his wife. They were a very cute couple, always telling us small stories here and there of their youth together, but this morning I noticed Mrs. Taylor wasnt with him.

    He had a sullen look on his face. "Goodmorning Elly". "Where's Mrs. Taylor?" I asked as I swept under his feet.

   "She ain't feeling too good today, seems she's coming down with something" he told me. This made me frown. "Oh my, I hope she feels better soon. Send her my regards" I told him.

   "Will do sweet pea" he said and leaned back in his seat, looking through the glass with a faraway look.

   I finished sweeping the floor and started to clear a table. The previous users made a huge mess. The table had coffee and what appeared to be maple syrup all over it with a few scraps of pancakes in it.

    I groaned loudly, catching a couple eyes but I paid no attention to them. I went around the back and returned with a bucket of soapy water. I stomped over and in doing this the bucket rocked a bit and some soapy water fell out, resulting in, you guessed it, me falling over.

   I screamed as I slid backwards, but instead of falling flat on my butt I fell into a pair of arms which steadied me.

    "I'm so sorry" I quickly apologized to the person who had prevented me from falling.

   "No problema señorita" said the guy. He was of Hispanic decent and was very well built and handsome I might add. He had on dress pants and a blue button up dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. He smiled and it reached his dark brown eyes, showing that it was a genuine one.

   I regained my composure and then saw that he was at the cash register speaking to Casandra. She had a smile on her face and her cheeks were rosy, the type of look a school girl would have when seeing their crush in the hallway.

   Awwwwww.

  "I'll get going, I'm sorry again" I said to the man and winked at Cassie. "Really, it's no problem at all" he reassured and I went back to cleaning as the handsome customer spoke to Cassie.

   At least one of us is having a good day.

                                ***

First time righting a book that's not about teens or high school. Ha! Wish me luck..

I hope you guys like it.
Please Comment, Fan and Vote.....

~A