Chapter 7

Elly's P.O.V

   As we approached the building in which we lived, we noticed an ambulance parked outside with its lights flashing.

   "Oh my gosh, what happened?" I gasped and spoke under my breath. I sat at the edge of my seat as Mr. Burkely parked the vehicle, before it was safe for us to get out.

    "We'll be ok right here. Thank you for the ride Mr. Burkely" Cassie said to the driver. He nodded and smiled as we got out.

    Two men exited the building pushing a gurney and another lady walked behind them writing something down on a clipboard.

   There was a body strapped to the gurney and was completely wrapped in a white sheet.

    Mr. Shelton, the building's maintenance man stood at the exit with his hands on his hips and a look of sorrow on his features.

     "Hey there Mr. Shelly, what happened? Was there an accident?" Cammy was the one to speak this time.

    "Hello there girls, I'm sorry to inform you but Mr. Barnaby had a heart attack. He didn't make it" Mr. Shelton told us.

    "Oh no!" My eyes actually began to fill with water at the sad news.

    Mr. Barnaby was the owner of the building. He lived on the first floor. He was a widower and was 76 years old.

    It was sad to know that he passed away like this.

   "What's going to happen now?" Cassie spoke.

   "Well that's the hard part. I'm afraid that now that he's passed away, the bank's going to take the property, being that he had no children or anything and besides there isn't anybody who would take care of the building financial wise" he said running his hand through his thinning hair.

    "I wont be sure about anything until I go down to the city council but in the meantime I think it's best you girls try and get somewhere else to stay" he said and proceeded over to where the ambulance was.

     "Oh my gosh, I cant believe this. What are we going to do?" Cassie asked, more as if she was asking herself.

    "Well I guess we better start packing" Cammy said and started to head over to the elevator.

    We all followed her inside and waited until we reached to our floor in a very uncomfortable silence.

   My thoughts were running wild. What are we going to do? Where are we going to go?

   It's always been us three against the world. We'll make it through this, right? Oh I wish so.

    Cassie's phone rang and she checked it before shoving it into her pocket.

     "Who is it?" I asked. "Its Alejandro, but I'm not up for talking right now. I dont feel so good" she said and we nodded in understanding.

     As we entered I went straight to my room, leaving the girls to head into their own room. I have a couple cardboard boxes shoved away in the back of my closet. I pulled them out and started packing my stuff.

   Firstly I emptied my underwear and sock drawer, then I took out the little clothes I had in my other drawer. That was pretty much it where clothes were concerned.

    I grabbed the other box and placed my little knick knacks into it, stuff such as my makeup kit, accessories and a couple old books I had. As I placed the last book into the box a piece of paper fell from it.

     When I picked it up I noticed it was a photo. It was yellowing due to how old it was.

    A lady in a hospital gown held a baby in her arms. Her smile warmed my heart and her emerald green eyes were so beautiful. Her hair was sticking out in some parts while the other strands stuck to her skin due to sweat. Although you could see she was tired, her smile showed that it was all worth it.