Chapter 8

Today was a bright and beautiful day. Cool breeze blew and the sweet chirping of birds could be heard. The air was filled with the sweet scent of blooming flowers.

      This is one of the beauties of spring. I love the fragrance and the warm weather it brings. The down parts of the month of May were the occasional showers, but that is what blessed us with the beautiful scenery and nature.

     I took one last glance at the outdoors before I shoved the key into the door, opening the cafe.

    We had decided to walk this morning, enjoying the warm weather.

    We all took our stations. I worked the cash register on Mondays, so after I put on my apron and hair net i took my post.

    About 30 minutes went by before Mr. Taylor and his wife came in, our first customers of the day. My face lit up as I saw them enter, hand in hand.

   "Mrs. Taylor, so glad to see that you're doing better" I said happily.

    She came over to me and took me into a hug. "Oh goodmorning Elly, nothing can keep me down for too long" she said, smiling and holding my hands with her own soft frail ones.

     "What would you like this morning? The usual?" I asked. "Yes dear, we'll take a seat over there in the meantime" she said. Mr. Taylor smiled at me and I returned the kind gesture before he helped his wife over to her seat.

   I wrung up the bill for a medium hot chocolate with whipped cream and a drizzle of caramel and a small cup of black coffee. I made a duplicate and placed it on the order wheel for Cammy to make the order.

    "Hey Elly, goodmorning".

   I turned to see Sally coming behind the counter. "Morning Sally, what's up?" I greeted.

    "Not alot, I'm just going to head around back" she said then went into the kitchen.

     "Hi there, what can I get you this morning?" I asked the lady before me.

   Her blonde hair was in a ponytail and she was wearing running clothes. She had an ipod strapped to her upper arm and earphones in her ear.

   "Goodmorning, could I please have a medium hot chocolate with almond milk and cinnamon to go please?"

    "Coming right up. Could I have a name please?" I asked as I did her receipt.

   "Kelly".

    "Ok Kelly, it'll be a moment" I told her. She nodded then stepped to the side to wait.

    I placed Kelly's order on the order wheel. Cammy took it off and started making it as Sally went to serve the Taylors.

    I turned to take the next person's order but my breath hitched.

    The guy that stood before me was a guy of african american descent, while he was an average guy, that's not what caught my attention.

   My attention was beyond him, to the person entering the coffee shop.

   Anthony.

   His misty eyes searched the small layout before landing on me. He joined the line which had 3 persons before him.

   My heart raced as I took all the other people before him's order. He finally came up to the cash register.

   He took his cellphone from his ear which he was talking into and placed it into his pocket. He was dressed in a dark blue suit with his hair combed in a quiff.