Chapter 34: All it takes is an act of courage

Aurora pressed the books and her suitcase-leather tightly to her chest and then, whirled around the corner too fast for her own good. It didn't take her too far and she was already bumping into someone. Her eyes widened as her feet stumbled over his and her books fell to the floor in a clatter.

"Woah, sorry I didn't see you there I--" The boy rushed into an apology as his hand wrapped around her waist and held her there, safe from falling, their eyes met for a moment and Aurora forced herself to look away to hide her bloodshot eyes."Aurora?"

She refused to look up at him despite him calling her several time by her given name. 

At last, spiked with her reaction, he gently grasped her chin and pulled her face up-and-towards him."Have you been crying?"  He asked, genuinely concerned.

In a silent response, she whipped out the remains of what he elicited it to be tear-leftovers and forced a smile."Everything is okay, Guy. I had something in my eye, that's all."

"It doesn't seem like it..." He surveyed her slender figure with obvious appreciation. 

"Don't worry." She quickly dismissed it and tried to change her focus, which was rather easy to say the truth, she did it on a daily basis and was good at it."Guy, you look terrible! What happen to you?" 

Guy had dark circles under his eyes and his hair was messier than usual. He scratched the back of his neck awkwardly and averted his gaze with an expression that screamed 'distress'. "Rough night, I guess."

She tried to read him, opening her senses to several possibilities but reaching one nevertheless."Ah~ I know! You've been practicing Professor Quinn's offensive spells! The few ones he gave us were rather difficult, am I right? Even I struggle with them!"

"H-How did you know?" He asked with his mouth almost in a gaped-state.

She shrugged, "Oh, just a guess-- meaning, I've seen you sneak out of the boy's dorm a couple of times already, so I assumed," and mischievously winked at him.

His eyes widened and he seemed in shock.

"Guy? Are you okay?" She waved her wand in front of his eyes, repeatedly."Hello? Have you crashed?" He blinked a few times and then seemed to have returned to reality. "Ah-- welcome back, er--!" Unexpectedly, he grabbed her by the arm and pulled her inside an empty room."W-Woah, Guy-- s-slow down! H-Hey!" She jerked away from him then pushed him."What are you doing?!"

He released his hold then stared her down, his expression sour."How much do you know?"

"What?" Surprise trickled through her.

"No." Guy flicked his gaze from her to the window, dropping it shortly to the floor lost in thought. He wasn't listening to her. His eyes had that glazed, vacant look, which immediately confirmed her theory, "It's not what you know, but better who you know that makes the difference. Yes, that's it." that he was being a little too pragmatic for her taste.

"Why is everyone talking in riddles, today?" Aurora groaned and rolled her eyes."Please go straight to the point!"

"You're a smart girl," He pinned her against the wall, placing his elbow over her head and leaning himself until he was nose-to-nose with her, then told her, "You tell me." as he forced her harder against the wall.

Her heartbeat raised, throbbing loudly against her ribcage as she found herself in a cat-mouse situation. "G-Guy..."

His face softened into a grin and chuckled, as he poked her forehead. "Use your head."