Chapter 69: A Miracle from Heaven

Certainly, no miracles occur, but there is enough of the wonderful and the inexplicable. 

In situations like these, anyone would feel reluctant to let go too. Choosing to believe in miracles can always happen, is a beautiful notion that most people hold on to. 

Aurora gasped blatantly for air and her heart jumped into high gear with the impact of his hand onto her chest. Her lungs resumed their breathing activity, raising the thoracic cavity up and down once more. As her eyes snapped open and met the light, she frantically assessed her body for any injuries; her hands clammy, her nerves fluttering. When she didn't find any, she sighed out in relief.

The girl felt dizzy from breathing off the top of her lungs and so, she laid her head back on the grass. She focused solely on the clear, blue sky above her. The soft breeze on her face was as gentle as a fluffy kitten's paws. Hearing the soft, melodic chirp of birds was relaxing her bit by bit. She didn't think she'd live to see another day ever again. 

Randolph rushed to tower over her body, cradling her neck with his left hand and the other on her waist, raising her body slightly towards him. "Aurora--!" He called, anxiously.

Her dazed eyes traveled from the clear sky, over to Randolph, in his blood-soaked clothes; his frame was lopsided, his hair seemingly more silvered, his dark irises were disoriented.

Unable to find his voice, he stared. Words were too curt to even begin to describe the different amount of emotions that hit him.

She drew a great, shuddering gasp and a slow smile worked its way across her face, warm tears began to pour down her temples."Why the long face? It's as if someone has just died." 

His shoulders accompanied his short laugh in movement."Y-You just did, sunshine." The sweet chocolate gaze that was so characteristic of him softened and only the ghost of a smile played around his mouth. "Welcome back, Aurora..."

She was quiet for a moment, and then apologized, her voice trailing off, "I... I'm sorry..." she took a hand to his cheek, caressing it tenderly with her thumb."I made you worry..."

"Indeed you did but, I'm just glad you're okay now." He picked up her hand and brought it to his mouth, planting a soft kiss on its palm then, softly nuzzled his face onto it, not ever breaking eye contact. "I love you..."

She reflexively grabbed hold of his arm and pulled him to a tight embrace. Tears abruptly began spilling down both of her eyes. "R-Randolph...! Y-You finally said it--!" 

The man placed his arms around the girl, returning the hug; he squeezed her as harder as he could, savoring it as if it was the last. "I thought you'd already known that..."  he whispered into her ear, "I love you, Aurora... I love you and, now that I have you again in my arms, I'll never let you go. Ever."  and, rocked her in his arms, whispering sweet nothings into her ear over and over.

His voice filled her ears and echoed in her heart. Aurora cleaned her tears with the back of her sleeve. "I-I'm glad... m-me neither..."

"Just promise me one thing," he said.

She snuggled against him, placing her ear on his chest and closing her eyes, listening to the echo of his beating heart; hers sang in joy."Anything!" Aurora shouted as she struggled to keep her emotions in check.

"Promise me that you will never, ever pull out a stunt like that-- because I don't even want to imagine what life would be like without you. I want you to always be right here beside me." Randolph tenderly patted her back with his strong, comforting hands.