Chapter 36: Where the knowledge lies

Silence. Absolute, utter silence in the bedroom.

Aurora had several books stretched open in her desk, a complete mess from top to bottom; right after Luca dropped her off, she stopped by the girl dormitory's common library and fetched a couple of books concerning certain topics of her interest. The prior event early that evening was what made her stay up late that night in the first place and yet, it was reading about subjects as such 'Magical Creatures' and 'Dark Magic' that kept her going nonstop.

Firstly, she grabbed was a small, tattered leather-bound, brown book. The title was "Spells Compendium"; being one of the chapters about 'Contracts and Curses', one of the topics brought up by Professor Schuyler. She opened it and read it out loud, even if in a low tone of voice as to not wake Amelia or Elina who were sound asleep next to her.

«Contracting Magic:

By definition, it's a means of forming a contract between two beings, usually a human and non-human creature, often involving an exchange of some sort.

It is mostly used with summoning and similar types of magic. Summons and Familiares can be summoned as long as you have established a contract. Summons are typically used for battle, yet Familiars don't possess the ability to fight. They are typically used to send messages, scout things out, act as support, and so on. They rely on the master's ability to draw out its strength, while Summons are individuals who are independent magic-wise.

It is the magic level of the summoner that decides which kind of creatures and spirits he or she can contract with. It is very difficult to make a contract with spirits, dignified magical creatures, and mystical creatures but not impossible nevertheless.

Be warned about the dark creatures such as demons, they can be seductive, manipulative, and deceitful to achieve their means. Avoid them and never form a contract with them as it is unclear how contracts are broken.

(following the text, was a frame with several pictures of Summons and Familiars and description of their magic abilities)

...

Curse Spells:

A Curse Spell is a kind of seal used to curse someone. To cast this magic it will always and usually require a small compensation from the wizard, be it hair to a certain extent, pieces of the nails, bodily liquids, vocal cords, or even eyesight. Something along the lines of temporary. However, some curses require further sacrifices like a being's life or the soul of its user.

Curses are a part of the contracting magic and can be described as being a "contract with the devil," part of the curse will always fall back in the one who casts it and depending on the degree falling in its whole family and lineage.

With curses, the summoned isn't used directly, but rather a piece of its ability that is passed on to the summoner through the contract established.

This type of spell can't be cast with a wand.

(following the text, was a frame with a few examples; petrification was one of them but, it didn't clarify the terms)»