Chapter 19: Tell me a lullaby

A knock sounded at his office door.

Randolph sure took his time answering it. Aurora kept her grip hard on the lantern and looking around; her foot drummed nervously against the floor, she couldn't settle her anxiousness, not for even a minute. When he finally twisted the handle and swung it open, his mind seemed to freeze at the sight of her. The man had his usual brown pants on, but stripped of clothing on his upper body; he had his shirt on but only for the sake of opening the door. His beautiful form took her breath away. Unlike he, who took a moment to study her, she didn't waste a second from Father Time. Overwhelmed with relief, she jumped forward and leaped onto his arms; he was almost set off balance, but nevertheless, hesitated once to receive her with open arms."A-Aurora!" He wrapped his arms around her body. "--Geez, you're freezing!"

She was drenched and shaking from cold but happy."Y-You're alive," Thus, burying her face in his chest and fell apart once again."Oh, thank the First King..."

He frowned at her suspiciously, but still with his usual debonair smile."Last time I checked, yes." He took in her words, surprised to find her so disconcerted."You just saw me a few hours ago. What's going on-- Aurora? Why are you crying?" Quickly catching up with the unceasing sobbing, he grabbed her by the shoulders and pushed her away enough to get a good view of her face. "Aurora!" He called out but, the lowest he could, not to draw attention from the chariots patrolling the area.

"I-I-I'm s-sorry..." Tears burned her eyes and her lower lip trembled. She wiped the tears from her cheeks with the shirtsleeve, feeling like a child after getting her/himself hurt during playtime.

He dropped down to one knee so he could stand by her eye-level and, caught a tear with his thumb before it could scroll down her cheek."Why don't you come in and tell me what happened all while we have a hot cup of tea?" Her nod was hesitant but still complying."That's my girl." He gingerly wrapped his right arm around her shoulders and drew her close, embracing her beneath his protective wing."C'mon," and, apace sneaked her inside. Thereafter, twisted the key and locked the door behind him, as usual for that time in the night.

Aurora hugged herself, feeling the coldness finally slithering through her limbs.

"Here," Randolph placed a heated blanket over her shoulders; it felt fluffy on her wet skin."This will be enough for now. Soon, you'll have to strip off those soaked clothes. I won't have you catch a cold."

Aurora's blush rose immediately just by the thought of stripping before him. She averted her gaze, trying to focus on something else... anything else. Soon, she noticed an untidy king-sized bed in the place where the library would be, right off the spot. She glanced at him over her shoulder; did he actually slept in there? Why? Didn't he had a room in the teacher's lodge? Or... - she recalled the conversation that she unwittingly overheard back in the dorm -  'then, what about what they said?' If that was true, it sure would make sense that he'd use his office as a refuge. Would he tell me the truth if I asked?

"You can sit down, I'll make the tea." He said, combing his hair back with his hand; but soon it returned to his early messy state. That was what people called, a 'bad bed-hair day'.

She waited a moment before curiosity got the better of her."Are you sleeping here?" 

"Yes." simply replied; he was already heating up the kettle and, setting the tray with two teacups, a milk-holder, and a sugar pot."I have a small place back in the village but, it's an hour's travel to. So, after a while, It became bothersome to me. It was when I decided to turn my office into a makeshift bedroom. It was meant to be temporary and yet, here I am." End of the explanation.