Chapter 15: Strong mind, fragile heart

In Randolph's office...

"Do you want some tea, Aurora?" He queried, already pouring some."I think it will do you some good."

"Yes, please." She thanked him and accepted his kind offer offhand. 

With a deep and long-drawn sigh, Randolph plunged into his usual spot and forced the back of the chair backward.

She was silent for a while, lost in thought, staring down at the dark liquid inside the small cup."I'm sorry..." She whispered, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear, and bit her bottom lip.

"What for?" He averted his gaze from his teacup for a moment and, glanced towards her.

"For bringing you so much trouble," She said. "I know you must have other things to worry about."

"Don't be silly, Aurora" He placed down his own cup and rose up from his seat, making his way around the desk."Please know that you've got nothing to apologize for." Chivalrously, he bent down his torso and withdrew her hand from the petit porcelain object, placing it on the desk as well. With a small pull-up, he brought her up to her feet and thus, disclosed the gesture with a light kiss over her hand's knuckles. 

She was quick to shook her head and dismissal, "But I do. If I was being more careful than I--"

"Shh--What's important right now is that you're okay." He said in a reassuring tone, then swung her around, leading her by hand to his desk's front-point; even if a little uncertain, the naive girl still hopped on, diligently sitting on the surface as silently instructed. In turn, he took the seat across her, "Somehow, I can't help but feel responsible for this."

She had gravely studied his face for a few minutes before asking, a little too innocently."How could this be your fault?"

He tilted his head to the side as if trying to figure things out himself before he could address the issue with her again.

"Randolph..." She quietly murmured his name, he seemed to have fallen deep in thought. She felt his left arm slowly fall onto the table, next to her body. "Why would you say it's your fault?" She repeated her previous question.

Facing a pair of clear eyes, there was no denying it. He hesitated a moment, wanting to tell her his darkest secret, but thinking she was better not knowing, it would surely save her a lot of trouble. However, he couldn't keep that secret to himself for much longer, let alone from the woman he has grown to care so deeply about. He was in need to share it with someone. Perhaps, telling her wouldn't be so bad. Then again, he swore secrecy to the very one who gifted with such burden.

"Randolph?" She called out his name, louder this time, trying to catch his attention once more but, it was his next gesture that caught her off guard. 

His hand moved up the length of her lower limb towards her upper thigh, fondling its skin along the way. As his fingers reached her skirt's hemline, hesitation bleared his intention and, he kept himself boundary-wised. His touch was so unexpected, dared she say sensualized even, and yet, it didn't unnerve her as much as it has been before. "It's hard to explain. I don't think you could ever understand."

She slipped her hand onto his, stopping its movement on the spot."Try me."

He dropped down his gaze as a pensive sadness took his expression hostage, and stayed silent.