Chapter 24: A dream is a wish your heart makes

She rocked back and forth, tears coursing down her cheeks unchecked. How could she have let that happen? She should have known better. Wiping tears from her eyes with her hand, she failed to suppress a sob.

"Aurora?"

 She leaned her head back and looked up at him, "P-Professor Schuler...?" and, swallowed a lump in her throat, blinking the tears from her eyes.

"Why are you still here? It's almost curfew." He made an observation.

"I... I-I..." She stumbled in her words.

"I asked you a question so, I hope to get an answer."  He reminded her in a stern tone. 

She dropped her head as she didn't know what to do. What should she tell him?

Upon noticing that she was on the verge of crying again, he somehow found himself guilty for using such a tone with her. 

She placed shaking fingers to her mouth to silence an involuntary cry.

"What happened, child?" He inquired, now a hint of genuine concern in his voice.

She smiled through her tears. "O-Oh... it's a silly thing, really..."

"Well. Whatever the reason might be," After turning his head from right to left for quite some time, he sighed and looked down."You shouldn't be sitting on the ground, so casually." He stretched out his hand for her to take."C'mon, I'll help you." Aurora grabbed his hand and, professor Schuyler helped her get back on two feet. Then, he pulled out for a small piece of cloth he had stored inside his pocket, and handed it over to her; in its left corner had two initials beautifully embroidered in gold, 'CS'."Here." After she thanked him and accepting the tissue, he asked."Do you want to report anything to me?"

She hastily shook her head no, slightly blowing onto it. She tried to return it.

"You can have it," He said, a bit disgusted at the sight."Sure you don't want to tell me why you were crying? Every bad deed should be reported, no matter who's the perpetrator."

"Y-Yeah," She managed to say, "Nothing I can't handle on my own."

"Well, I don't feel reassured with your answer but, If that's what you feel about it then, return to your dorm and I'll see you in class, first thing in the morning. Good evening, Aurora."

She reciprocated the wish, "... Good evening sir." and, watched him walk away. She remained in complete silence, just leaning against the cold stone with eyes closed, lost in thought for a few more minutes. She wondered how her life would have been if she didn't let herself being engulfed in some school drama. Drama does not just walk into your life. Either you create it, invite it, or associate with it. Why does everything in my life have to be such a complicated disaster? She asked herself in hopes of betting her mind blown by an epiphany. Aurora was fed up with all the cliché happening around her but, as they say, she was bound by hand and foot. If only there were a way, then maybe...

(...)

"There-there little human. Don't cry, everything's gonna be fine."

Aurora's eyes shot open surprised at the sudden light pat on the top of her forehead. Did just someone talk to her? She looked in every direction possible, searching for the voice, but found no one.