Chapter 46: Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world

Aurora packed all the necessities into a bag which she conceived as indispensable for the quick night trip, including the letter from the queen and some magical tools for self-protection. She got off her pajamas lickety-split, and changed into a simplistic flower-styled dark purple dress with loose lace sleeves to elbow-length, complementing the looks with a pair of knee-high boots and a jet black cloak with a hoodie."Okay, I'm ready." She then closed her eyes shut and crossed both her index fingers with the middle one, biting her bottom lip as she did so, "Just, please don't let yourself get caught. I can do this." and, breathed out, her voice softer as if prepared for what Fate had in store for her. The girl couldn't afford to have any kind of mishaps coming her way or it would end badly for her, as in being thrown into the detention chambers so, it was crucial for things to run smoothly tonight. She needed to do this the right way. "Let's go," Before marching towards the balcony, she found herself looking at the nightstand for a split second."Ah, that's right. I still need some light." So, she reached out for the chest at the bottom of her bed and took out a medium-sized kerosene lamp along with a box of matches. She removed the glass chimney and lit up the flat-wick, adjusting the flame size by wheeling around the knob protruding to the right. In a note to herself, she stated, "Now, that should be everything."

"Aurora!" An impatient voice came from outside of the room. Elina's voice called her name eagerly.

"Coming!" She promptly replied, blowing off the nightstand lights next, and leaving the bedroom through the balcony door in a hurry.

"What was taking you so long?" Elina finally asked after Aurora stepping in.

"I'm sorry, it took me longer to find the right outfit." She said, sliding the hoodie on.

"That's okay. What's important is that you're ready." She said and, quickly added, "Did you bring your wand? You'll need to use a tracking spell once we're there if we want to find him rather sooner than later. As I said earlier, there's little time to waste."

Aurora averred that she had brought everything; Elina gave her a slight nod in acknowledgment and said she would meet her on the ground. Accordingly, she grabbed the rope that was lazily entwined by the door and threw it over the balcony's railing, securing its end around one of the balusters; then, climbed on and started descending, sliding down slowly with caution as to not slip and fall down on her back. As soon as her feet touched the ground, she was ready to set off when, suddenly, she felt an odd sensation like a hand grabbing her arm and pulling her back. She swung around and raised the lamp to lighten the path ahead, "What...?" her eyes scanned the area for any signs of life, but no one was there. Seconds passed, during which she seemed lost in thought. Then, something snapped in her like a switch being turned up unexpectedly. And, without a word, she took off up the path and out of sight.

"What's wrong, Aurora?" Elina flew back and tried to catch up with the girl; it was a big strain for a small gal like her, "T-The academy is that way." and noted, starting to get breathless.

"I know." She shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly.

"T-Then... Why are you going that away?" Elina stopped to catch her breath for a moment and stared at her moving back obviously confused, but soon resumed her flight. "H-Hey! Wait up-- did I miss something? There's nothing that way!"

"He's not in the academy, of course." She exclaimed in delight upon her early epiphany, "How could I forget? He's by the clearing, star sighting."