Chapter 47: Darkness exists to make light truly count

*Attention: this chapter might contain themes related with depression, suicide and self-harm. Please scroll down with caution*

The clearing at that hour of the night was quiet. The flaxen stars and the pale half moon were bright overhead, their luminescence reflected on the serene spring's surface. The sounds of the insects in the wild were soothing to the hearing and gave the environment quite a peaceful melody. The grass danced rhythmically with the soft gusts of wind.

Randolph appeared to be alone watching the sky through the lens of his telescope, and she took a deep breath to still her hammering heart before emerging into the small clearing lit by the moon. Hearing the grass stirring with footsteps, the man drew back from the large, cylindrical object and turned his head back, in Aurora's direction. By the expression on his face, he was surprised to find her there and, to top that, at a late hour as that one, "What are you doing here? It's way past your curfew, Aurora." he said.

"I know that but," She removed the hood back, exposing her facial features, and glanced up at him."I needed to see you."

His expression was wary, but he said nothing further about her remark. Promptly, he returned to his usual self, his features softened and he kindly smiled at the girl."Come here, I want to show something." He stretched out his arm and offered her his hand, which she took without a hint of hesitation. He guided her to the telescope, silently ushering her to use it."It's starting, look." He said and Aurora instantly knew what he meant by that. Her attention was immediately caught on by the very first falling star crossing the sky. Her eyes followed the brisk movement, a brilliant sight that made her eyes sparkle and face glow in excitment. Others followed and thus, composing the annual Taurids meteor shower. With wide-open eyes she gazed at the stars. Ablaze, she bent down and looked through the spyglass; their unprecedented crowns and blizzard tortoise tails, made her let out a little gasp and search for Randolph's gaze. She would point at the sky from time to time, making a few observations about how the Taurid shower was associated with the Comet Encke and that it didn't have a lot of shooting stars to offer. The few that would streak across that dark blue canvas were bright spectacular fireballs, being their brightness capable of knocking anyone's eyes out.

His expression was solemn, but the eyes that regarded Aurora were full of repent. She looked gorgeous under the moonlight; the moon's beams gave her chestnut hair light platinum shades and, the feeble silvery shadows on her mild-dark skin danced around her facial features while illuminating her lovely smile. He began to see how foolish he had been. He deserved the cold-shoulder and the silent treatment and still, that was not what he received...

Aurora drew her head back in Randolph's direction once more, her eyes sparkled again, her face glowed. Her own body burned with emotions she couldn't control, love, happiness, suffering and longing, a mix of different feelings that refuse to put her heart to rest. Whenever she would recall his looks, his kindness, and his words, a happy ending didn't seem so impossible to grasp. Bubbling with happiness, she breathed in-out, relaxed her shoulders and body, in the sake of steadying her pounding heart.

Clueless, he studied her carefully. How was it possible that he felt somehow drawn to that frail-looking girl with the most light green eyes that naturally shone with innocence and tenderness every time they would find something. Was it wishful thinking, or did she actually look his way with fondness? He thought how terrible it would be to live without her. Extremely long nights made of torture and loneliness. Nothing that he wasn't already used to but, things were different, now that he had her. He couldn't bare return to that life anymore...