Details in the Devil

En başından başla

      You windowshopped at the girly shops, looking at the too-bright shirts and way-too-tight skinny jeans. You weren't really looking at them. You were watching the reflections. People passed by, loudly talking and laughing with friends or on the phone. And low and behold, there was the tall, brown-blondish man. You noted what he was wearing. He wore a brown jacket over a white T-shirt that was slightly too tight across the chest and a pair of military-green cargo jeans. He still didn't look at you, but your skin crawled as he passed. Even though he was passing on the opposite side of the walkway.

      Once he had passed, you walked back the way you'd come. As you passed a map of the mall, you casually checked the reflection. There he was again. Tailing you while cleverly glancing between the walls of stores and their windows of popular items for sale. You continued on your way. But once you made it to the other side of the mall, you turned on your heel and walked the opposite way. You were trying to confuse and irritate your shadow to make him leave you alone. But every time you saw his face in the reflections of windows and kiosks, he wore a very chilled and unhurried expression on his face. He was obviously clued into your plan to make him leave you alone, and was in it for the long run.

      So now you were walking only until you had a chance to come up with a new idea for escape. With him trailing so intensely, you knew he wanted something and he wanted it bad. So the only conceivable way you could imagine escaping, was through the weapon you'd just purchased. You wanted to shoot him dead, right there, right then. But you were in public, and the police weren't as good listeners as Bobby or the Winchesters were.

      Quickly now, you hurried out of the Mall and headed for the local park. You couldn't tell anymore if he was following you. There weren't enough reflective materials around for you to check for any following shadows, so your only hope was that he took the hint and left you. You casually checked in the reflection of a parked car's window and saw a figure walking behind you several hundred yards. Just like he was in the mall. He obviously was keeping you in sight, but if you ran now, you'd probably be back to Bobby's with him lost in your dust. That is... assuming he doesn't run after you. And you weren't that fast of a runner. Or for that long of a distance either.

      You ran through all the available options of location to shoot your shadow. There were too many cameras and witnesses in the central area of the park, so that was a no. The alleys were being prowled by low time gangsters and thugs at this time of day. You found that out the hard way a long time ago. The only other viable option was the old stone bridge in the developing part of the park. You quickened your pace into that direction. You hoped your shadow, if he wouldn't leave that is, would follow and not know that he was walking into a trap.

      You loaded up your gun with a few spare bullets you'd carried with you for times such as this. You sat crouched under the stone bridge, holding your gun between your knees and making fidgety type movements. It had been 15 minutes since you'd hidden yourself down here. And the shadow still hadn't appeared. You were beginning to think he'd never show up. Or maybe he knew you were hiding there and was sitting on a nearby park bench, waiting for you to make your next move.

      You considered calling Bobby, or Sam and Dean, but you didn't want them to make more of a scene. So you had to resign yourself to coming up with another fool-proof plan. You checked your gun's magazine for the 300th time, then started to army crawl up the side of the dry riverbed. You looked around for a minute, checking each bench or hiding place that he could be at, but to no avail.

       Cautiously, you crawled back down, then moved to the other side. Again, nothing. You were starting to feel relieved. Maybe he had left...

      You heard the gravel on the other side of the bridge where you'd just been laying crunch and rustle under heavy-soled boots. You whirled your gun around, furiously angry that you'd thought for a moment he'd left. That and how your hands were shaking with adrenaline and nerves. It was as though you'd never been in danger before...

      "HANDS IN THE HAIR! I mean-... HANDS IN THE AIR!" you shouted, slapping yourself internally at the mispronunciation.

      "Whoa! Whoa-whoa-whoa!" the man yelped, raising his hands up," Don't shoot, don't shoot! Sorry, I-I didn't know anyone was down here..."

      "SHOVE IT WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE!" you shouted," YOU'VE BEEN FOLLOWING ME FOR THE LAST THREE HOURS! WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT DO YOU WANT?!"

      The man was holding his hands out, moving them up and down to motion for you to quiet down.

      "Calm down, calm down," he said softly, his eyes were soft as he looked at you, throwing you off even more," I can explain-..."

      "THEN GET TO IT!" you screamed," WHY? ARE? YOU? FOLLOWING? ME?"

      "Uh, well it's uh-... it's complicated," he fumbled for words as he took a step closer to you.

      "NO! STAY BACK!" you ordered.

      The man raised his hands again and took two steps back. The hairs on your neck tingled and stood on edge.

      "Sorry, sorry," he apologized profusely," Alright... uh, where to begin... well, for starters, I'm not from around here."

      "Clearly," you said.

      "I mean-..." the man sighed withdrawnly,"...-I mean I'm not from this universe. I'm from an alternative universe."

      "An alternative universe. Right," you said in disbelief," Prove it."

      "My name is Lucifer," the man said simply," And in my world, I'm the hero."

      You were suddenly overcome by a blinding light and the shadows of two gigantic wings was cast on the bridge walls. The light show was a lot like the one Gabriel did, but these wings were larger and thicker. And the light was brighter, like the purest light. Untouched by any sort of darkness. You hadn't expected that from anyone named Lucifer.

      But Castiel had told you so many stories about the horrific things that Lucifer did to humanity. From slaughtering people mercilessly, to torturing Sam in the Cage and in hallucinations. But as much as you had felt something off with the man trailing you, all of it disappeared when the light touched you. You felt warm and safe in its beams. And Castiel specifically said Lucifer felt cold.

      You felt the cool, damp air from the bridge hit your skin when the light died and the shadows disappeared. Leaving the slightly bedraggled man in the cold shadows of the bridge.

      "So... if you're- good Lucifer... does that mean Bad Lucifer is still-..." you were interrupted by the man.

      "Yes, at least, as far as I can tell," he added," Besides, I'm not here for him."

      "Why ARE you here?" you asked.

      "I'm looking for something I lost here a little over 18 years ago," the man said as he reached into his pocket causing you to instinctively raise your weapon.

      He pulled out, very, very slowly, a photograph. He held it out for you, and you took it quickly. You looked at it and felt your throat tighten.

      It was a photo of your mother.