Alec and Mila Vale (Survivors)

After taking some evidence for yourselves, you and the Winchesters got into the Impala and drove to the police station. You didn't really want to talk to the kid. You weren't a kid-type person yourself. But between the choice of a kid and a cop who may or may not be mentally prepared for questioning, you chose to work with Dean and the kid. Dean assured you he could handle asking the kid questions while you stood back. That made you feel a bit better.

      The front desk woman walked you and Dean into the Chief's office where the kid and 9 mo. baby were. The woman shook her head as she unlocked the door.

      "That boy shouldn't have seen what he had," she said," From what I've heard, the poor kid heard his father killing his mother, grabbed his little sister, then ran outside to Officer Bells when he arrived."

      "We'll be in and out in a few minutes," Dean said reassuringly.

      "Alright," the woman said as she walked off," If you need help, just holler."

      Dean and you shared a look before Dean opened the door slowly.

      The 4 year old was sitting in the corner, holding a sleeping baby in a pink blanket. He looked up at you and Dean with wide, curious eyes. His hold on his baby sister tightened. Dean stared at him for a long while before kneeling down and holding his hand out to him.

      "Hey, my name is Dean," he said softly," And I'm here to help you... Want to tell me your name?"

      The boy stared at his hand, not reaching for it. Dean pulled back, glancing at you over his shoulder. The boy looked between you and Dean, eyes glistening.

      "Alec," he said in a soft voice," I'm 4."

      "Well, Alec," Dean said with a smile, then gestured at the bundle," Is this this your sister?"

      Alec nodded," Her name's Mila."

      "I hear you were very brave yesterday," Dean said," You grabbed your sister and ran out to the police officer. Right?"

      Alec didn't say anything. He didn't nod or shake his head. He just stared at the floor in front of him. Dean seemed to be at a loss, so you sat down beside him and in front of Alec. You put on your softest face and used your softest voice.

      "Alec... why did your father do it?" you ask," Did something make him do it?"

      Alec nodded slowly.

      "What was it?" you ask," What did you see?"

      "It was smoke," Alec whispered," It was black. I thought the house was on fire. I got Mila so we could go outside. That was what Mommy taught me. But Daddy said 'no' and tried to hurt me."

      "Did he hurt you?" you ask.

      "He grabbed my shirt and cut me with his ax," Alec said, his eyes glistening with tears that he hurriedly wiped at with his sleeve," On my back."

      "Can I see?" you ask.

      He looked at Mila then you. Dean held out his hands.

      "I can hold her," Dean said," I'll be careful with her, I promise."

      Alec reluctantly handed Dean Mila. Dean took her and rocked and shushed her as she started to fuss about being traded. Alec watched Dean warily before turning and lifting his shirt up. A large, white bandage covered the wound, but it had bled through enough for you to see it was a simple downward strike from a near miss with an ax. It didn't seem to be anything supernatural.

      "Thanks for showing me Alec," you say as he pulled his shirt back down," Do you have any other family around?"

      "My grammy," Alec said," She lives in New York."

      "We'll see to it you go to her house," you reassure him.

      He looked a bit less pale and a little bit happier at the thought of going to his grandmother's house. But his eyes didn't move from Dean and his baby sister. You looked up and felt a flurry of 'awe, how cute' as you watched Dean pacify the woken infant. He was singing the words to The Wall by Kansas. He didn't seem to even notice you watching him. It was incredible to see him use that much skill to keep Baby Mila quiet. You stand up and sidle next to Dean, looking the baby over.

      "I'm going to call Sam," you whisper," You want to take care of them, while I do that?"

      "Sure," Dean said, fully enticed by Mila's big blue eyes and cute little mouth," I'll stay here with the kids."

      You grinned as you left the room, closing the door behind you. You go down the hall, pulling your phone out of your FBI suit and dialing Sam's number. You wait as the phone rings. Sam finally picks up.

      "Yeah?" Sam said.

      "Definitely demon," you say," The kid says he saw black smoke."

      "Same here," Sam said," Officer Bells is one hundred percent sure that he saw black smoke come out of Vale's mouth. He was a little hard to convince, but I finally got through to him. I'm driving back over to you, I'll be there in about 10 minutes."

      "Alright, see you then," you say," I'll be in the morgue, Dean's in the Chief's office. Call me if anything comes up."

      "Will do," Sam said.

      You hang up and shove your phone back into your jacket. You headed out to the front desk and asked for directions to the morgue.

      "Just down the street, next to the butcher's shoppe," the woman said.

      "Are you serious?" you ask.

      "Deathly," the woman said with an unimpressed expression.

      "Thanks," you say as you headed out the door.

      The morgue sits next to a butcher's shoppe? Seriously... what's wrong with Dundee Ohio?