First Morning in the House

You woke up to a very sore, throbbing back, and an equally tight muscled stomach. You didn't sleep on your stomach very often, so you weren't used doing it now when you had no choice. Otherwise, you slept heavily and even had a dream, which now escapes your memory. You sat up and your wings protested with a sharp stabbing pain across your back. You withheld a moan, then sat up the rest of the way. You rolled your shoulder, listening and feeling every pop and crack and twist of your muscles and bones. You looked around the room after you stopped panting. It was the room you were meant to grow up in. The one your mother and Lucifer made special for you.

      You were wrapped up in the cute Noah's Ark blanket, laying on a pillow with a sleeping lamb. Sure it was baby stuff, but you never really had a childhood. Not between the deaths of all your parents, except Lucifer of course. And living with Uncle Bobby wasn't all kids stuff either. You liked your room back at Bobby's house, but this... this had your mom's fingerprints all over it. The last thing she gave you other than life.

      You leaned down onto your side, staring at the mural wall. You stared into the bright, innocent eyes of all the animals. You tried to imagine your mom painting them. You pulled the photo Lucifer had given you out of your jean's pocket. You held it gingerly between the pads of your fingers, staring into your mom's frozen eyes in the dim light of the rising sun. The sun had just barely peeked up over the horizon, and your window faced the western sunset, so there was only a blue sheen of dawn to light up the face in the picture.

      You wished you could feel grief over her, to mourn, to feel angry that you never met her. But you couldn't. You never knew her, so to you, she was just another dead parent. You knew this was wrong. Or was it? You never knew her, so why would you mourn someone you never met. Sure you were sad you'd never met her, but you'd gone your whole life without her. Sure you cried when you watched her die in that sick replay of your birth, but any human would. You wished she lived. You really did. But when it came down to it, you really weren't bothered by it. You felt guilty that you felt this way. This wasn't the way to feel, was it?

      It took about 15 minutes of tossing and turning to convince your body it should get up, then another 10 minutes of dragging and kicking to get it upright. Once the 25 minute work out was over, you staggered out of the room, stretching out the muscles in your back to try and soothe the pain the wings were causing you. You headed down the hall to the living room.

      You saw Gabriel was still watching TV. Well, right up until he snored. You withheld the laugh, and looked over at the other side of the couch to Castiel. His head was being held up by his arm, eyes shut, breathing even and deep in sleep. Lucifer was nowhere to be seen.

      Until you heard something rattle and something making noise in the kitchen. You looked over and saw Lucifer making food. His back was turned to you, but you could see he was mixing something in a large bowl. You took a sniff of the air and smelled pancake batter. And bacon and frying eggs. You headed over into the kitchen.

      Lucifer put the bowl down and moved over to the stove and started to flip the bacon. He looked startled when he finally saw you approaching him.

      "Whoa! Hey! Y/n! Morning!" he yelped out with a frightened smile.

      "Morning," you mumbled through the sleep," Breakfast?"

      "Yeah, I thought Bobby would like a real breakfast and not just cereal in a bowl," Lucifer said in a way that made it sound like a side note than a statement.

      You pulled out one of the bar stools and sat at the island, watching Lucifer work the stoves and batter like a pro-chef. He was very entertaining to watch. The food smelled delicious and you were growing more and more anxious to eat it.