Chapter 15

I slowly open the office door after my mini pep talk and walk in, walking around the hallway. I walk into the waiting room and a huge smile makes its way onto my face. Sat on one of the couches, looking more uncomfortable than I had seen him in my life, was Elijah. "Thank goodness," I whisper as I make my way towards him as he stands up. "I'm your cousin, on your dads side. You just need to confirm it and sign off on my form at the desk," he whispers in my ear as he hugs me. I smirk and pull away. "Thank you. For coming back," I whisper, sending him a meaningful smile as I turn and go to the desk where the bitchy office lady waited, holding a clipboard with a form on it. 

I take the pen off her and sign at the bottom and hand it back to her. She nods and gestures for us to leave back down the hallway. The second we are out of the office, I couldn't help but hug him again. "Where the fuck have you been, Bitch?" I demand the second I pull away. He glances around at the few students that were walking by. "Could we maybe find somewhere a little more private to talk? Where's your dorm?" He asks, glancing around at the school. "We can't go to my dorm..." I trail off, my mind going to Alex. "Here, follow me." I lead him to my running track, making him jump the brick wall and all, although he did it with an amount of grace that made me jealous. 

I drag him to the small picnic table that was a few minutes into the forest and just off the track. "Okay, what do you want to know?" He asks, sad smile adorning his face. My mind returns to the millions of questions that were merely being held back by a stupid metaphorical dam that was made of puny, little sticks and shit, ready to burst at any second. "Where have you been?" I ask slowly, propping my chin on my hands. 

"All over the place. At the moment, a little shit hole called Winport, just out of Easront," he states. Easront was a huge city that was located only a few hours away from our old home town. I go there every now and then to visit my aunt. So Elijah has been this close, and yet never thought to come and visit?

"How are you alive? Why didn't you tell me? Why did you leave or go missing?" Were my next questions. Oops, I guess the damn is breaking...

"Here, I'll just start from the start," Elijah states. I nod for him to continue.

"Okay, so my mom died when I was younger, right? And my father always told me that it was in a car accident. Turns out he was lying and she was actually kidnapped by a couple of thugs and was-" His falters for a minute before finishing his sentence. "- murdered," He starts and I let out a quiet gasp. He barely ever brought up his parents, especially his mother. I mean, he had explained that she had died in a car accident but he never mentioned her again after that, and he only mentioned his dad when he had to. He didn't have a very good relationship with him, they argued a lot. Before I could say anything, he continued.

"My dad was involved with some bad people and his business - a drug dealership- was why she got kidnapped to begin with, because he messed with the wrong people and they got to her to spite him. He had the option to turn himself over to spare her life... He didn't." His voice was cold and he avoided my eyes.  

"I did some digging and I found the guys that killed her. I- I never planned to do anything, I just wanted to know the full truth. I had just started to move on when they showed up at our house. My dad must have thought I was asleep... He sold them drugs. I couldn't stand to think that they killed my mother and had the audacity to come anywhere near our house again, let alone continue business with my father. By complete coincidence, I found out exactly where they were going to be that day after school and so that's why I never met you at our cafe. Ace found me later that night in an alley, standing over their bodies." Elijah's voice was monotone and his expression was the same. I didn't know what to say... Ace found him? As in 'leader of The Kings' Ace? My mind was spinning and I was intently struggling to understand everything that was coming out of his mouth.