Chapter 12

🚨🚨🚨

"Yvette?"

My eyes widen at the boy in front of me. "Elijah..." My voice comes out as barely a whisper. Elijah had been my best friend. We were inseparable, almost the same person. I met him on my first day at my new school.

I slowly walk out of the hallway and into the courtyard. There were girls playing on the field and a couple of boys were in the sandpit. My eyes land on the swings and I smile. I love the swings! I begin making my way towards the playground when suddenly, a figure blocks my view. I glance up to see a couple of the 3rd graders. "Hi." I smile up at the two boys. "I'm going to the swings. Do you want to come?" I ask them. One of them laughs coldly at me and pushes me, causing me to fall backwards and graze my hands on the gravel. I feel my eyes begin to well up as I look down at my stinging hands as splotches of blood began to show. "Aw wah wah. Are you going to cry like a little baby?" The other asks. Suddenly, another boy comes out of the playground and stands in front of me. "Leave her alone, Riley," he growls. The other boys snicker and put their hands on their hips. "What are you going to do about it, Elijah?" They sneer. He doesn't hesitate before leaning forward and punching the boy that said it straight in the face. The boy yelps and they both run away in the direction of the playground. Elijah crouches down next to me and grabs my hand, inspecting them. "Are you okay?" He asks, his voice soft and comforting. I ignore his question and smile at him. "Thank you."

And just like that, Elijah and I became best friends. He was always there for me whenever I needed him and we and everything in common. Everything was great until February 4th, 2015, the day he went missing. There were search parties and missing posters everywhere until the police closed the case after a year and deemed him dead. Everyone believed it, I believed it. I was devastated. I was home schooled for a year after that, I didn't want to go through the first year of high school without him. I ended up going because we ran out of private tutors that would teach me because of how 'difficult' I was. Not to mention the effect it had on my mental health, I mean, my dad was constantly away for business trips and so I was alone a lot.

"Y-Your alive." I say, my voice breaking on the last word. I almost laugh. He looked different than when I saw him last back in 2015. His eyes were still the same, beautiful hazel but they were dull and filled with pain. His blonde hair was cut only a little bit sorter but it seemed to have been dyed dark brown? He was much taller than me, he always was but now he towered over me in an almost intimidating manor.

He steps forward and I let go of Alex's arm, almost running into Elijah's embrace. He was alive! He hugs me back tightly. "I'm so sorry," he mumbles into my hair. "So, so sorry," he says again. We pull away but he doesn't let go of my arms, keeping me close, his eyes wide. "You need to get out of here," he states suddenly, leading me back through the alley the way we came, glancing over his shoulder. I try to stop him but he doesn't let go of my arm so Alex steps in, pushing him away from me. 

"Alex!" I hiss, shooting him a look. Elijah puts his hand up in defense, taking a few steps back. "Hey look, mate, I get it if you two have something going on or some shit, but it's not going to end well for either of you if you don't leave right now," Elijah states, glancing over his shoulder. "Especially her," he tells Alex, gesturing to me.

"What's going on?" I ask him slowly, becoming more and more confused by the second. He sighs. "A few of The Kings' members are on their way here as we speak to discuss... Territory... Which basically means as soon as they get here, everyone here is all but guaranteed dead. Ace knows who you are, Yvette. He knows what you did and I swear, if he finds out where you are-" Alex cuts him off.

"We are leaving." He grabs my arm and begins to pull me past Elijah into the parking lot. I try to struggle out of his grip and don't get very far. Elijah just stood next to the mans body in the alley, watching me with sad eyes. "Elijah!" I say, my eyes pleading. "Come with us," I all but beg him. He shakes his head. "I can't leave until the job is done," he states coldly. The job? What is he even talking about? Why would he want to stay? He said it himself that everyone was going to die.