Chapter 5

Kai's POV

We're driving to my house, but I still feel so guilty. Noah's sleeping and it looks pretty uncomfortable, so I'm trying to hurry.
I pull up to the driveway. Luckily, Dad works until 4, a bit after I get out of school, so I can have some time of not trying to pretend me and Noah are just friends.
I carry him up to my room and place him on my bed.
I take my clothes off, only in my boxers, and turn around to see him staring at me with his eyes wide open.
I smile, pulling a shirt over my head.
"Sorry," he mumbles.
After putting on some shorts, I sit on the bed next to Noah. He puts his head in my lap.
"You're a cry baby," he giggles.
I frown.
"So mean," I say. "You were crying more than me though."
I lift his shirt up to look at his scars on his stomach.
Some were scabbed up and some were bleeding still.
I went downstairs and asked my Mom for a few bandages, but she decided to come with me.
"Really Mom, it's fine. I can do it "
She was walking up the stairs holding a bottle of peroxide and paper towels.
I hate when she puts peroxide on my cuts and scrapes and stuff. It hurts so bad, so I really don't think Noah could handle it.
"Kai, the last time you put a bandage on yourself, you ended up being wrapped up like a mummy," she says with a chuckle.
"It wasn't the last time and I was five."
She laughs and shakes her head.
We walk in my room. Noah looks up with a confused look.
"I forgot the bandages. I'll be right back," she says as she places the stuff on my bed and leaves.
"She wants to help. I told her it would be alright and that I could do it, but she didn't listen."
He looks at the bottle of peroxide.
"What's that?" He asks.
"It's peroxide. People put it on cuts to help prevent infections, but it hurts like hell."
He flicks me in the head.
"Remember the deal?" He asks and I nod my head.
He leans on my shoulder.
My Mom walks in.
After a minute of explaining what to do, Noah's laying on his back and his shirt's half-way up.
"You ready?" She asks him. He should be nervous, but I am. I'm nervous for him.
He nods his head.
She pours a little bit and his eyes widen as soon as it touched him.
He sits up quickly and hugs me with one arm and grabbing his stomach with the other. He buries his head into my chest.
Mom frowns.
"Are you okay?" She asks and we realize he's crying.
She sets the stuff on my bed.
"I'll let you do it."
Then, she walks out the room.
I wipe his eyes.
"It hurts," he whispers.
"Baby, I know it hurts.." I mumble, kissing his head.
I pull his hand off of his stomach and lay him back down. I'm not using peroxide.
Besides, I searched it up and it kills healthy skin cells along with bacteria.
I wrap his chest in a bandage.
He wipes his eyes since he was still crying.
He sits up.
"It's okay now," I say, gently setting my hands on his back and hugging him.
He closes his eyes for a few seconds as he sniffles.
"It's alright. You feel better Baby?"
He nods his head slowly. I kiss him again.
I lay down and he lays with his head on my chest.
I guess we fell asleep because I ended up waking up a few hours later.
He was still asleep by the time I woke up, but I didn't want to wake him, so I ended staring into space for half an hour until I noticed he was somewhat awake.
"Baby?" I whisper, waiting for a response.
"Grandma," he mumbles, then saying something else after that, but I couldn't understand it.
"What?"
He laughs a little bit, then flicks me in the head.
"Ow." He kisses my nose.
"Kai.. I have to go home now.." He whispers.
I frown.
"I'm coming with you again," I say, but he shakes his head.
I drop him off at his house and when he's at the porch, he turns around.
"Call me," I motion with my hand.

Noah's POV

I don't want to come here but I have to.
David opens the door and greets me with a big fake smile and his disgusting yellow teeth.
As the door closes he glares at me.
"And just where the fuck where you?"
I pull out the whiteboard from my backpack and quickly scribble Kai's house. We have a project.
He raises his eyebrows.
"Go to your room. Don't expect dinner tonight. Don't expect it any night." He calls to me and I stumble to my room, but he throws a beer bottle at me. I begin to cry, getting up and running to the bathroom.
He pushes me to the ground and kicks me multiple times, then punches me in the face.
He takes out a small knife from his pocket, but I quickly crawl through his legs and into my room, locking my door.
I dial 911, but then I dial Kai's number instead.
"K-Kai.. I need you.. Please!" I whisper.
"OPEN THIS FUCKING DOOR!"
"Kai, please hurry!"
The door bursts open.
"Little bitch. You really think you could get away from me? Fuck you."
Terri comes upstairs with a bigger knife and throws it at me. His aim isn't good, so he missed.
There was a loud knock on the front door. Kai?
"This is the police, open up!" No!! Why did he call the police!?
David and Terri ignored it and beat me up until I passed out.

Kai's POV

Nurse Molly's my mom's friend and she lives closer to Noah than I do. I called her to go and she called the police.
I was there when they carried his bloody body out. They arrested David.
I followed the firefighters carrying Noah and climbed into the ambulance.
He was so small. His beautiful light-brown hair was now blood-red.
He was bleeding everywhere.
His clothes were full of blood. My eyes teared up. I reached for his hand and held it, using my other hand to rub his side.
At the hospital, I was allowed to stay with him until they do surgery in a week.
"He lost a lot of blood. You know, it's a miracle that he's alive. I'd be surprised if he makes it out alive."
Hearing the doctor say that was the scariest thing I've even heard in my life.
My Baby, dying right in front of me.
I overheard the doctors saying they may have to do surgery sooner. Tomorrow.
I sigh. I drive home.
It was pretty late by the time I got there.
My eyes were a bit red from crying and there were tear stains on my cheeks.
Mom opened the door with a smile, but then she frowned, pulling me inside.
"What's wrong? Did you guys..?"
I shake my head.
"He's in the hospital," I mumble quietly as another tear falls down my face.
She hugs me.
"It's going to be fine."
"Mom, the doctors said he's most likely gonna die," I say as more tears fall. She wipes them away.
"But he's strong. I know he'll make it out alive," she says with a smile.
"He's very, very strong, son."