Chapter 31

Kai's POV

Dad's girlfriend is walking upstairs with a baby who cries so loud, I had to cover my ears.
"Do you wanna hold her?" She yells over the baby which is even more annoying. I shake my head quickly.
I like babies. Not this baby. It isn't because her Mom is a high pitched idiot, but it's because her cries are louder than I can scream.
Okay, that's a lie. I can scream really loud. My point is that Dad's room is directly under mine. Let me explain.
We have vents on the ceiling and a vent on the wall in each room. The wall vents are all connected and, since my room's right above theirs, we can hear almost everything.
There are some perks to that and some.. Not.. Perks..
When we were little, me and Jenna could spy on our parents. We went into my room and sat by the vents and when they started talking about going places or something special, we always listened.
We stopped listening about two years ago when.. The pregnancy process began. My Mom didn't get pregnant or anything, but.. Ew. Just imagine your parents.. Doing.. I can't even think about it.
Wait.. Dad's 54.. And she's.. 22.. Oh my God, that's disgusting!!
I heard the baby's crying through the wall vent and got stuff to block it.
The crying was now muffled, but we could still hear it. It was just quieter.
"Kai.." I turned to Noah.
"Yeah?"
"Do you smell potatoes?" I could tell he was still half asleep, and chuckled a bit.
"What?"
"Do you smell tomatoes?"
"Potatoes or tomatoes?"
"Your toes." I don't even know what to say.
"Okay then."
"Come here," he mumbled. I sat on the bed next to him and he grabbed my head and pulled it onto his chest.
"Can you hear my heart? Or did they take it out?"
"Your heart's still in there. I hear it." He patted my head and hugged it.
"You're gonna stay here forever," he said, then fell asleep. I tried sitting up, but he woke up.
"Stop. Bad. Lay back down."
"Okay," I mumbled and set my head back on his chest. He wrapped his arms around my head and held me tighter. He didn't fall asleep again though.
"I'm hungry," he said.
"You want your applesauce?" He shook his head.
"I want yogurt. They brought me some," he said and pointed to the mini fridge. I opened it and found a lot of yogurt, applesauce, and fruit cups with peaches in it.
"What kind? Peach, strawberry, cherry, or vanilla?"
"Um.. Strawberry." I got a spoon and started to feed him.
"You don't have to feed me. My arms still work."
"I know, but I'm still going to."
"I'm not a baby though." He paused, then looked at me.
"Don't say it." A wide smile came across my face.
"You're my baby," I said and he groaned.
"You're so cheesy."
"I'm feeding you. I'm not cheesy, I'm being nice."
"You're being nice and being cheesy."
"Whatever," I said and continued to feed him the yogurt.
After he finished eating, we got bored.
"Do doctors ever think of what their patients are gonna do when they keep them in bed for two weeks? Don't they ever think they're gonna get bored?" Noah asked.
"Well, they're mainly focusing on keeping them alive, not their boredom, so probably not." He started poking the tubes going through his nose.
"No. Don't mess with those. If they fall out, you won't be able to breathe." He stopped touching his nose.
"Sorry," he mumbled sadly.
"It's not your fault. You didn't know." I fell asleep with Noah a few minutes later.
I felt something sharp and cold hit my face and woke up. I groaned and grabbed where I was hit.
"Did you slap me?"
"Sorry.. You weren't waking up and it scared me," Noah mumbled.
"What's wrong?"
"I need to take my pills."
"Oh yeah," I said and got up, grabbing two bottles. He had to take two spoonfuls of the gross stuff he didn't like and three pills.
"Are you sure my heart's still in here? I can't hear it."
"Well, I don't think we can hear our own hearts."
"Well, I think you're hot."
"What?" I asked and laughed.
"Look, you have a fever," he said and put his hand on my forehead.
"I'm not sick."
"Yes you are. You're really sick. You have a bad fever and you need to lay down and give me a big hug and kiss and it'll make you better."
"If I'm sick, that'll get you sick."
"It isn't contagious."
"Okay then," I said and leaned over to hug him.
"It only works if you give me a kiss too." I smiled and kissed him.
"Okay, you're all better," be said with a big smile.
"That's good."
"I'm sleepy now."
"Okay." He fell asleep within a few minutes and I plugged my headphones in and listened to music until it was time for Noah to wake up to take medicine.
"Yeah?" He mumbled with his eyes still closed.
"Time to take your medicine. You gotta wake up Baby."
"Baby my butt. I'm sleepy."
"If you don't take your medicine, you won't get better."
"Fine," he grumbled and opened his eyes.
"What's wrong? Where's your happy face?"
"In the garbage."
"Well, you need to take your medicine now." He had his pills and liquid medicine stuff. He frowned at me.
"What's wrong?"
"I'm mad at you."
"Why?"
"Umm.."
"I know why. You have a fever. You have to give me a big hug and a kiss so you'll get better." He smiled and reached for me.
I leaned over again and he wrapped his arms around me and pressed his cold lips to my cheek.
"I love you."
"I love you too."