Chapter 6

Narrator's POV

After the surgery, Kai went straight to the hospital.
"Sorry to say this sir, but he slipped into a coma during surgery. He may never wake up."
Kai spent eight months sitting by Noah, barely eating and barely sleeping. Nothing could move him from that spot. Well, his Mom could.

(And we're not gonna talk about school)

Kai's POV

"Honey, you need to go home and eat something. I'll stay here with Noah until you get back." Mom says. "I'll call you if anything happens."
After driving home and taking a shower, Mom called my phone.
"What?" I ask, answering the phone
"Come look."
I drove in my car as fast as I could.
After checking into the hospital, I ran to Noah's room. He was sitting up in bed with his eyes half open.
Mom left the room. We were the only two in the room now.
"Noah.. Baby, are you okay?" I rub his face and kiss him.
"Yeah.." He mumbles in a scratchy hoarse voice.
He holds his stomach.
"What's wrong?"
"It still hurts.."
I sit down on the bed next to him, wrapping my arms around him.
"It's okay. You'll be okay."
He leans his head on my shoulder.
"Kai, it hurts really bad.."
I lift his shirt up. Nothing's bleeding and they said he wasn't bleeding on the inside.
"Baby, you're probably just sore."
The doctor walks in.
"Do you want the good news or the bad news first?"
He shrugs his shoulders.
"Well, good news is he'll be fine after it's all over. Bad news is that his stomach will be sore for awhile and we still need to keep him here for at least four more days to make sure he's okay."
I nod my head and the doctor leaves.
"Baby, you can come home soon."
He smiles, but then winces.
"It hurts.." He holds his stomach.
I grab one of his hands.
"When the doctor comes back in, Ill ask him to get you some medicine."
About ten minutes later, the doctor came in to do some stuff.
"Oh, umm.." I pause, then continue talking. "Can he get some medicine? He says his stomach hurts."
The doctor nods his head and leaves.
"Thank you," Noah mumbles. I smile.
After awhile, the doctor walks in and places some medicine on the table next to the bed, along with a cup of water. After setting them down, he leaves.
Noah poured some water in his mouth, then swallows the pill.
He lays back down on his side.
"You'll be fine in a little bit."
I rubbed his side, then pulled the sheets over him.
"You gonna go to sleep?" I ask with a small chuckle. He nods his head, already half-asleep.
"Goodnight Baby."
"Night.." He mumbles. I lay down next to him, but I don't want to sleep there because if I roll around, I might crush him or something.
When I started feeling tired, I got off the bed and slept on the chair.
I woke up to Noah crying. It was early; 4:17.
"Baby, what's wrong?" I whisper.
"It hurts!" He yells.
"Shhhh.. You'll be alright," I whisper as I climb into his bed. I hand him the cup of water and a pill.
"Take this.." I mumble, setting him in my arms and cradling him slowly.
After taking the pill, he wraps his arms around me. I kiss his forehead and after around twenty minutes, he was asleep.
I fell asleep an hour after he did and woke up at 7.
He was still sleeping when I woke up.
"Baby, do you need to go to the bathroom?" I ask.
He opens his eyes halfway before blinking and opening them a bit wider.
"Mm.. What?" He mumbles.
"You need to go to the bathroom?"
He shakes his head.
"I'm.. Hungry.." He mumbles quietly.
"Okay." I gently move him off my lap and lay him on his bed.
I got dressed and drove out to a nearby McDonald's.
After I got back to the hospital room, I set the food on the table next to the bed.
I take my shoes and coat off and sit back down next to him.
"Noah," I whisper.
"Hey, I got your food."
He opens his eyes, trying to use his arms to sit up. I help him up, then reach over to hand him the bags.
"Thank you.." He mumbles and I can tell he's half-asleep.
"You're welcome," I say with a small chuckle.
I wasn't really hungry, so I just got him food.
He leans on my shoulder, taking a small bite into his Egg McMuffin.
He turns his head and kisses my cheek, putting a bigger smile on my face.
He holds his food up to my mouth.
"Eat it."
"Noah, I'm not hungry. It's fine."
He shoves a piece of it in my mouth and forces me to take a bite.
"Eat it," he says, but this time, he's serious and he pushes the McMuffin to me.
I sigh, picking it up, but I only eat what's already in my mouth.
He frowns at me.
He moves on my lap, digging his head into my neck.
I rub his back, putting the food in a paper towel and setting it to the side.
He mumbles something.
"Hm?"
He says something that I still couldn't understand.
"What?"
Before he talks, I move him back a little bit so he can talk clearly.
"Now talk," I say with a smile, brushing his hair out of his face.
"I'm gonna strangle you when you're sleeping."
My smile turns to a face of concern, shock, and a little bit of fear. He laughs quietly.

Narrator's POV

They stayed in the hospital, but Kai left the hospital on the fourth day to make his house as welcoming as possible.
Noah came to live with Kai temporarily.

Kai's POV

I was so excited the day he was coming home. My Mom decided that she'd go pick him up while I finish cleaning the house and cleaning the room.
It was nearly impossible to climb through the window at his home and take his clothes here without getting caught.
My heart began pacing as I walk around in the living room.
"W-What if he doesn't like the room? Or-What if he doesn't even like it here? What if he-" I stutter before Jenna interrupts me.
"Shut up. You stayed in the hospital by him for like eight frickin months, so he'd be a jerk to not like you."
That's the nicest thing she's ever actually said to me. I was really shocked she was able to say that without wincing and gagging like she usually does.
I hear the car pull up to the driveway and run to my room-our room.
I look around.
"What's missing?" I keep asking myself, but I can't figure it out.
I hear the front door open and my stomach starts to hurt.
Is this what serious nervousness feels like? God, I hate it! Hate!! What if he hates the room!? What if he hates me after this and breaks up!?
I stand up and peek out the door down the stairs.
He was standing there, a little shakily and pale.
Jenna introduces herself, then begins walking him up the stairs.
I close the door quietly and hide in the closet.
Jenna opens the door.
"We surprisingly don't have any extra rooms, so you're gonna stay in here with Kai." That was a huge lie. We have about four extra rooms.
I see Noah walk in and look around. I can tell he knows that it looks way different then the last time he was here.
Last time, it was just a bed, a TV stand, a TV, a dresser, a couple shirts on the floor, and the closet.
Now, there's what I just listed (except the shirts on the floor) and a lot more stuff.
The curtains are different, the bedsheets are different, there's still my favorite big fluffy blanket, there's his clothes folded and stacked neatly in a pile in the corner until we decide where to put them, his backpack and stuff is also in that corner, and I have his stuffed animals laying on the bed.
Everything was cleaner. My room wasn't exactly dirty.. It just wasn't clean.
When Jenna leaves the room and closes the door, he smiles and sits on the bed. He looks around and examines the room until he notices his stuffed animals.
He lets out the cutest squeal and takes them all into his arms, hugging them.
He started talking to them quietly. After a minute of him talking, he zoned out, then asked on of them "When's Kai gonna be here?"
I started feeling guilty by making him wait, so I climb out the closet.
"You were here the whole time?"
I nod my head and look away, embarrassed.
He walks over and hugs me.
"Thank you for letting me stay with you." I smile, hugging him back.