Chapter 20

Noah's POV

I walked in. Jenna and Kai's Dad were downstairs looking miserable. I knew something was wrong, and I walked upstairs to our room.
Kai was laying down on the floor and there was literally a puddle of tears.
"What happened Kai?" I ask, sitting next to him.
He sits up and hugs me tightly. I hug him back.
"What's wrong?"
"My Mom just died," he whispered. I began shaking. Why is everyone dying? I kissed his cheek.
"It'll be okay. She's in a better place now." Someone knocked on the door before opening it slowly.
"The funeral is.. Tomorrow.. After school.." Jenna mumbles. She leaves, closing the door back.
"Don't die Noah," he whispers.
"I'll try not to.." He has a small smile that fades to a frown and he lets out more tears.
I rub his cheek, wiping off a few tears.
"I love you," I whisper quietly.
"I love you too Noah."
"Kai, please stop crying. I know it's hard, but it's not gonna help," I mumble. "I hate seeing you cry.." He sighs, wiping a few tears, but he's still crying.
"Sorry," he says. I hug him tighter and he kisses me.
"Don't apologize," I say. "Can we go for a drive? I think it would help."
"Yeah.."
We drove for at least 2 hours. It was about 6 already. We drove a little longer before we pulled up at a different motel. After getting a room, we dragged ourselves to the room.
Kai pulled me onto the bed with him. I laid on top of him.
"Are we gonna go to school tomorrow?" I asked.
"If I manage to stop crying." I hug him.
Well, he did manage to stop crying. He wasn't crying at school today, but he was a mess. An absolute mess.
He barely talked today, and when he did, it was quiet. Not like a whisper, but it was pretty quiet.
He didn't eat his lunch. He could barely focus. He didn't want anything to do with Jordan. He almost killed him yesterday. Kai also almost broke Jordan's nose in the locker room.
I'm not standing up for Jordan, but he did nothing. I don't want Kai to get mad at me. I don't want him to break my nose, even though he probably wouldn't.
We walked to school this morning, so we had to walk home.
"Kai!" I heard Jacob call from pretty far behind us.
Still walking, I let go of Kai's hand and scribbled on my notebook.
I don't know if Kai wants me to tell you, but something really really bad happened last night and I don't think he wants to talk
I turn around and rip the page off to run and give it to his friends. I run back up to Kai and grab his hand.
We were walkway home and could see the house down the street. I could recognize Nurse Molly's car. I remember Kai saying that his Mom and Molly were friends.
There were a few other cars that I didn't recognize.
As we walked inside, the house was full of people. Okay, not really. There were 2, maybe 3 kids running around. There were old people, I'm assuming grandparents, and a few other people who I have no opinion on. Everyone was wearing black.
Kai walks away to talk with someone who looks a bit older than him. I sat on the couch. I know basically nobody here.
Kai's Dad isn't in here. He's probably in the room. Kai walks back up to me.
"We have to get ready."
After changing into suits, we went back downstairs.
I was greeted by some woman who kept asking questions and I couldn't answer. Kai walked towards us and pulled her away for a minute, then she came back.
"I'm terribly sorry, I had no idea you were mute. Sorry," she says, then leaves to talk with someone else.
Half the people walked by the stairs, so his Dad's probably here now. Kai turns to me.
"Do you know how funerals work?" I shake my head.
"I don't really either. I was 10 the last time I went to one. We sit and talk for a few minutes, the pastor guy says some words, then we all go up and say something. You don't have to if you don't want to. Most people here know you're mute."
"Okay."
We drove there. After people talked, a guy wearing a black robe stood on the stage-like thing.
I kinda zoned out for what he said. When we were called to the stage thing, Kai's Dad went first. Next was Jenna. After her was Kai. Now, it's my turn. Everyone stared at me.
I never knew funerals were so scary.
I stood to the sign and waved my hand.
I started doing sign language.
"Does anyone know sign language?" The pastor asked.
Some guy raised his hand, walked to the stage, and translated for me.
"I haven't know her for very long, but what I know is that she was a good person. Her loss is a very devastating thing for a lot of people, and I offer my sincerest condolences."
Some people clapped their hands and we went back to our seats. Kai grabbed my hand.
"Good job," he whispered quietly. I was about to smile, but we're at a funeral. Who smiles at a funeral?
When everyone said their stuff, we were allowed to get up and talk again.
"That was good Noah," Kai says.
"I'm just glad he was a good translator and spoke clearly. He could've said constipated." Kai laughed a bit, then hugged me.
"You didn't have to come if you didn't want to," he says.
"It's fine." Kai smiles, then, grabs my hands and pulls me closer.
"I love you Noah," he whispers.
I smile back and reply, "I love you Kai."
"We're leaving soon. Let's go."
When we left, the car was silent. Nobody said a word. I fell asleep on the drive home.
I woke up in my hoodie and some sweatpants on the bed next to Kai.
"You're awake." He smiles and pulls the hoodie from over my head. I kiss him and he kisses back. After pulling away, he kisses me again.
"I love you," Kai says.
"I love you more." He sets me in his lap and I rest my head on his chest.
"I'm sorry.." I whisper.
"For what?" He asks, rubbing my back.
"She.."
"Oh. Noah, it isn't you fault."
"But still.." I mumble. He pats my head.
"Well, it's getting late."
"Goodnight."
"Goodnight Baby."