9. For The Best

My eyes snap open, and my body shook from the shock

My eyes snap open, and my body shook from the shock. Heavy breaths left my lips while I looked around. It's okay, Ava, it was just a nightmare.

I rolled on my back, letting out a deep sigh. I could feel the sweat laying on my forehead.

These nightmares happen mostly every night. There are nights that I don't have them, but they are rare. I'm surprised my aunt hasn't heard me.

Most of the time, I would scream loud or cry.

With a big sigh, I stepped out of my bed.

For some weird reason, it felt colder. With frowned brows, I walked to my window, opening the curtains. To my surprise, it was snowing, and by looking around in the yard, it has been snowing all night.

Great, we have to go to the forest for our project, and it has been snowing. Maybe we should wait until the snow is gone or at least wait until it stopped with snowing. Taking my clothes from the closet, I walked to the bathroom.

When passing the stairs, I could hear aunt Meg being busy in the kitchen. She's probably making breakfast. I when into the bathroom and did everything I need to before going downstairs.

"Goodmorning." Aunt Meg said, turning around to face me.

"Morning," I mumbled, sitting down at the table.

I took some toast and put it on my plate. Aunt Meg put a glass of orange juice in front of me, smiling at me.

"Did you sleep well?"

I shrug my shoulders, taking a sip of it.

"A little."

"Why, what's wrong?" She sat in front of me, taking some fruit from a bowl.

"I have these nightmares almost every night. It's not that I'm not used to it. I have had them my whole life, and it's just. I'm tired of getting them. Sometimes I don't remember them. Just the feeling of dread, pain, sorrow, and loss. Those are things I remember."

I can't tell her that most of them are from the accident or my dad torturing me. There are nightmares I can't remember, only those awful feelings.

"Did your mom know?" I nodded my head, taking a bite of my toast.

"Yeah, she thought it was from the stress at home and school. Noting magic related, at least that's what I think." Aunt Meg nodded her head.

"Well, if you want to, I can look more into it." I swallow down my food, frowning my brows.