1. Last Hope

Leaning my head against the cold window, I let out a sigh

Leaning my head against the cold window, I let out a sigh. The hour-long drive I had to make was boring. I just kept my eyes closed for most of the train ride, trying to get some sleep that I have lost the last couple of weeks, but it didn't work to my luck.

My eyes wander away from the passing trees to the almost empty train carriage. It was just a family with a little kid and me.

She was playing with some cars, making noises. Her eyes went to mine, and I gave her a soft smile. She smiles back before going back to playing with the toy cars. It doesn't surprise me that it's just us.

Who would want to go to an old town that nobody even knows that existed? The village of Briggs, where everybody knows each other and has never left the village for generations.

.....Except for my mom.

She left town before I even was born. My grandma and aunt begged for her to stay, but I guess she wanted to go. She wanted to see something different than the same trees every single day. It's a shame she didn't stay here.

Maybe things would have been different for us all.

I touch the bruised spot on my cheek, shaking my head. Unfortunately, we can't change the past. No matter what you do or how hard you try, you can't forget it either. I have tried it in the past weeks, but it always comes back to haunt you.

I can't forget that awful day.

The screams and the cold always find their way back to me in my dreams. Hint me being extremely tired. I'm sure there are gigantic bags under my eyes, but I don't care about them or anything about me at all.

I never really learn to spend time on my appearance. My mom never taught me how to use make-up or how to do my hair nicely. It just always in my natural wavy curls. It would be a wonder if my dad gave me money to buy new clothes. All my clothes are from the thrift shop, except for my jacket.

It was my mom's when she was my age. One day when I was in the basement, I found it with some old stuff from hers.

The train slowed down, making me look outside. There wasn't much to see, only some old train station with trees surrounding it. I let out a sigh standing up and took my only bag from above me. I don't have a lot, but it's all I need for now.

The cold air hit my face, making me shiver. I adjust the strap from my bag on my shoulder before walking down the few steps from the train. I look around and saw a few people walking around. Like I said before, there isn't much here, so why would there be people here?

I make my way to the exited, pulling my torn-up jacket closer to my body. When I came to the street, I had no idea where I had to go. It would be helpful if I would know where my aunt lives, but I had no idea.

I never had the chance to ask my mom.

My eyes when to a car that came driving my way. It passed me, and I saw it stop right in front of the family that sat with me on the train. I watch as a boy my age stepped out of the car with a smile on his face.