2. Lost Nerd

"Are you nervous about your first day?"

I swallow the last bit of my pancake, looking at my aunt.

"I guess. I don't really like school." I confess playing with the sleeve of my sweater.

"You're a smart girl Ava. It's not the grades you're nervous about."

I shook my head. "People don't really like me. I don't know why, but they just don't."

Aunt Meg chuckles, shaking her head. "Ava, why wouldn't they like you? You're sweet and caring."

I shrug my shoulders. I know why they hate me, but my aunt doesn't.

"Now come on, get your coat. It's time to leave, or you will miss the bus."

I froze and shook my head.

"No, I can't take the bus!" I said, panicking.

Aunt Meg looked at me with a confused look on her face. "Ava, why? There's nothing wrong with it."

I shook my head again, and I could feel my hands began to shake. "No! No, I just can't. You don't understand. I can't! I-I-I can walk."

She frowns her brows at me shaking her head. "Walk? Ava, it's pouring outside, and you don't even know where the school is."

I don't care if I have to walk miles in the rain. I'm not getting on the bus.

"Please just don't let me go on the bus," I said as a tear run down my cheek.

Aunt Meg nodded, walking over to me. She cupped my face with her two hands, wiping away the tears.

"Okay, okay, I'm going to bring you, but when you get home tonight, you're going to tell me what happened, okay?" I hesitantly nodded my head.

I didn't want to tell her. What if she kicks me out of the house if she finds out what happened? I can't risk it, can I?

I took my backpack from the ground and follow aunt Meg outside. She locks the door behind her before unlocking the car. I quickly walk to it, not being bothered by the rain.

She drove out the driveway without saying a word to me. Now and then, I could see her looking at me, but I didn't want to look at her. I felt so ashamed, but I didn't know what else I could do.

I played with the strings of my backpack while looking outside. I saw the school, and my stomach began to turn. In my old school, they would push me against my locker and even locked me up in the janitor's closet. Once, it took them a night to find me.

My father was, of course, furious with me. He said that it was all my fault because I was weak.

When we came to the parking, it had stopped raining. To my luck, this is going to be the only good thing about my day.