Vol. 5 Ch. 49 Personification

Your POV

Time Skip
(Brought to you by Chibi Nora sneakily eating Chibi Ren's pancakes)

After trying to get signatures and failing, I met back up with Blake and Sun. Sun slammed his cup down and said, "I don't get it! How can they just sit around and do nothing with the White Fang getting ready to attack?!"

I sighed and said, "Because not everyone is like the three of us. The Faunus here in Menagerie ─the ones that weren't born on the island─ moved here because they were tired of fighting, of having to struggle constantly. Menagerie is filled with people that just want to be left alone." Blake scoffed and added, "And here we are, asking them to put the rest of the world before themselves."

Sun replied, "I guess I never really thought about it like that." Blake said, "The problem is, whatever happens at Haven is going to affect them whether they like it or not. If Adam gets his way and Haven falls, it's only going to make things worse for the Faunus. Everywhere." Then Sun said, "Adam... He's the guy you used to... work with?" Blake sighed and said, "Yes."

Seeing Blake's discomfort, I wrapped my tail around her waist and Sun said, "Sorry, forget I brought it up." Then Blake said, "No, it's okay." She was silent for a moment and then said, "Have you ever met someone and thought to yourself, They are the personification of this word."

Sun rubbed his head and replied, "Uhh..." Blake said, "Okay, well, I remember getting to know Ruby and thinking, This girl is the embodiment of 'purity'. After a while, I saw Weiss was 'defiance'. And Yang was 'strength'." Sun asked, "What am I?"

Blake smiled and said, "Jury's still out on that one, but I'm leaning towards 'earnest'." At this, Sun wrapped his tail around his cup and took a sip from it, before leaning on his hand affectionately. I chuckled and said, "And what about me?" Blake looked at me and said, "You're 'redemption', because despite what's happened to you, you always seem to redeem yourself and others around you." I smiled and did a superhero pose.

Blake giggles and smiles for bit, before frowning as she continued, "At first I thought Adam was 'justice', then I thought he was 'passion'. But over time, I realized I was wrong. He wasn't any of those things. He was 'spite'. Not 'hatred', not 'rage', 'spite'. He won't accept equality, only suffering for what he feels the world did to him, and his way of thinking is dangerously contagious. That's what worries me about Ilia. She's not like Adam, not yet at least, but I don't know how long that will last."

Sun asked, "She was your friend, huh?" Blake replied, "She was. Her chameleon traits meant she could pass as human. She could've lived a normal life if she wanted, but she didn't. I always admired that. She lost her family in a mining accident when she was young, then she joined the White Fang. Like me, she was more or less trained on the road alongside other Faunus. She learned to survive, to defend herself, but as people like Sienna and Adam started to gain a following, she became more dangerous. I guess I did too. My parents tried to get me to leave with them, but I refused. I had Adam and Ilia, after all." Sun said, "You know we're gonna have to face her eventually." Blake replied, "I know." I said, "So, what are you gonna do?" Blake answered, "I'm going to try and help her the way you helped me."

Sun and I were both surprised at her response. Then Blake said, "You showed me that sometimes you need to be there for a friend even when they don't want you to be. I was drowning in guilt and fear, I tried to push you away, but you didn't give up on me. And I can't give up on Ilia. It's about time I saved my friends for once." Sun and I both smiled at her response.

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter.
Master out.