Glorious

After being invited into the Luthor mansion by the butler on duty, Clark made his way along the oak-panelled hallway towards Lex's study. He'd been dropping in on his friend - both scheduled and unscheduled - for almost two years now and the housestaff, used to his visits, had long since stopped bothering to show him the way.

He pushed open the huge glass and wood double doors and walked into Lex's personal space. A fire roared in the huge Gothic fireplace and the chandelier that hung over Lex's glass and chrome desk illuminated the otherwise dark corner of the vast room. But his friend wasn't in his usual place behind the desk.

'Lex?'

'Up here, Clark.'

Lex stood on the balcony above, holding a green leather-bound book in his hand.

'Hey,' said Clark, 'not disturbing you am I?'

'Not at all. What's on your mind?' Lex preambled.

Clark smiled, liking how well his friend knew him. 'You're all dressed up,' he said. Lex looked very dapper in a tailored black suit, crisp white shirt and a pale pink candy-stripe tie. 'What's with the monkey suit?'

'I'm going out to dinner. Flannel and jeans didn't seem appropriate,' replied Lex with a friendly smirk.

Clark smiled good-naturedly at the playful jibe. Others might have taken offence, but not Clark. After almost two years of friendship with the twenty-two year old billionaire, Clark knew when to take Lex seriously and not so. Besides, dry humor and sarcastic wit was just Lex's way. They had a strange friendship, but both young men understood that they had never experienced one like it before.

'So you didn't come all the way out here to poke fun at my attire.' Lex made his way down the winding staircase back into the heart of the study. 'So why are you here?' he asked throwing out a hand, gesturing for Clark to take a seat.

'I was hoping to catch Kennedy,' Clark said making his way over to the leather sofa by the fireplace. 'Is she around?'

'Upstairs with Lana, getting dressed,' Lex told him, joining him on the sofa opposite, the book still in his hand.

Clark lifted one eyebrow and smiled. 'Oh,' he said realising. 'It's that kind of dinner.'

Amused by his young friend's curious interest, Lex asked, 'And what kind of dinner would that be?'

'The romantic kind.'

Lex only smiled. 'Is it important, your reason to see her?'

Clark considered the reason he wanted to talk to Kennedy to be very important. After what Lana had mentioned earlier that day about Lionel Luthor prying into her life, it had been on Clark's mind ever since. But he couldn't tell that to Lex. He wasn't sure if Kennedy had said anything or even if she planned to.

He gave a quick shrug. 'Not very,' he lied.

'So it can wait until tomorrow?' Lex coded.

'I can catch up with her at the Talon.'

Lex nodded. 'I'll tell her to expect you.'

'Thanks. So what's the book?' Clark asked gesturing to the thick volume on Lex's lap.

'The Art of War,' he said. 'Have you read it?'

'Can't say I have. Who's the enemy?'

Lex lifted one eyebrow and gave him a knowing look. 'You really need to ask?'

After only a moment's hesitation, Clark nodded. 'Your Dad up to his old tricks again?'

'Old habits die hard, Clark,' said Lex with a wry smile. He held up the book. 'He gave me this for my fourteenth birthday. I would have preferred a train set.'