My Father's Son

Lionel Luthor was sitting comfortably and somewhat relaxed in the fireside chair inside Lex's study. The only light in the room came from the log fire that crackled in the fireplace. Beside him on the smoked-glass occasional table, sat half a tumbler of scotch. Resting on his legs was a copy of the Daily Planet and in his hand he ran the reading device - a nifty little machine that read to him - over the page. 

The doors opened up and Lex came inside turning on the light switch illuminating the chandelier which hung over his desk. He stopped when he caught sight of his father and resisted the urge to sigh. Yes, this was his father's home as much as it was his, but it annoyed Lex that his father had gone to so much trouble to set up his own office down the hall and never seemed to use it. 

On hearing the door Lionel turned off the machine. 'Lex? Son, is that you?' 

'Clearly the idea of personal space is lost on you, Dad,' Lex said, walking over to his desk. 

'I was just checking the market. Seems your LexCorp stock has gone up another two percent this week. You're clearly doing something right.' 

'Thanks for the ringing endorsement,' Lex replied somewhat insincerely. He pulled out his chair and sat. 'Now would you mind explaining why you spend more time in my office than you do your own.' 

Lionel lowered the newspaper. 'Does my presence bother you, Lex?' 

'There are so many ways I could answer that question,' Lex replied. 'But we'll leave that for another time. Heard you fired your assistant this morning. That's the fifth one you've devoured in the last two months.' 

Lionel merely smiled. He folded the paper and dropped it to the floor by his feet. 'Tobias was...a trifle too deliberate for my liking. Where are you finding these people?' 

'Little schools like Harvard and Yale,' Lex said dryly. 'I spent hours going over resumes looking for the perfect fit.' 

'You mustn't be fooled by a resume, Lex. You have to look into their eyes to see if they're up to the challenge. I need your eyes to look for me, son.' 

Lex leaned back in the chair, lifting one leg and resting it on his knee by the ankle. After the accident, it had been Lex's idea to hire an assistant for his father both at home and work. He was beginning to wish he hadn't wasted his time. His father was a difficult man to please. 

'I see,' he mused. 'So, somehow, the failure of your assistants is my fault.' 

Lionel sighed and shook his head. 'Forget the self-pity, Lex. I wasn't criticizing, I was critiquing. There's a difference. And if I recall, I didn't ask for help. You offered.' 

A hint of a wry smile curved at Lex's mouth. 'Rest assured I won't make such a deliberate mistake again. Y'know, Dad, I'm so glad to see your condition hasn't softened your paternal side.' 

'My condition has nothing to do with it,' Lionel replied. He reached out and felt for his glass of scotch. 

Lex doubted that. 'You're no longer the master of the universe and it's killing you, isn't it?' 

'I won't allow myself to get drawn into your games, Lex. Just get me an assistant who meets my criteria.' Lionel lifted the scotch to his lips and took a long drink. 

'I don't think even I would fit your criteria,' mused Lex. 

'Probably not. But nobody's perfect,' Lionel shot back. 

Lex clamped down and resisted the urge to retaliate. The two of them could spend all night scoring points off one another and not only did Lex not have the time nor the inclination, he was beginning to tire of it all. He wished his father would just stay in Metropolis. The only reason he came to Smallville was to keep a check on him.