Spybreak

Inside the smaller of the two libraries within the sprawling mansion complete with indoor and outdoor pools, gym, tennis court and acres of well-kept and abundant gardens, sat Lex Luthor. The library on the first floor, also doubled as his office complete with billiards table, a copious state-of-the-art music system and cinema-screen TV with DVD player. The only light in the room was the glow from the line of church candles on the mantelpiece of the stone Gothic fireplace. The storm had caused the lights to blow a circuit. As it had the mansion's security system. The rest of the electrics, however, seemed to be working fine.

Behind his smoked glass and chrome desk in a high-backed leather swivel chair, Lex was on the telephone to one of his many employees, listening to him whine about it being late and something about his wife. Lex couldn't be bothered to even acknowledge let alone listen. He picked up the remote control for the TV and turned it off, then broke into the man's annoying whine.

'Look,' he said trying to keep the agitation from his voice, 'I don't pay you to complain. I pay you to work. I don't care what time it is, I need you to send someone down here to look at the power. Because of the damn storm the lights, and more important, the security system are down. Now if you value your job and your résumé I strongly suggest that you send someone. And fast.' He punched call end and placed the handset back into its receiver. Then he went over to his stereo system and browsed through his vast CD collection. Seconds later the pumping club music filled the air and he poured himself a tumbler of the finest scotch.

Ambrosia to the gods, he thought swallowing the smooth caramel colored liquid. Then he walked over to the billiards table and began racking up the balls.

Outside the storm wasn't letting up any. The rain lashed against the windows and the thunder rolled and rumbled. Flashes of lightning lit up the dark oak-panelled room as Lex settled his glass down on the side of the table. Then selecting a billiard cue, he chalked the end and broke. The loud clacking of the balls hitting against each other as they split and rolled and the thumping bass-line of the music was all Lex could hear.

He certainly didn't hear the sound of breaking glass somewhere on the ground floor.

*

After her brief encounter with the strong armed guy Kennedy hadn't stopped running. She'd witnessed some pretty weird things in her time, hell, she was the Princess of Weird, but there'd been something not quite right about the guy's story. Okay, so he'd saved her from death-by-branch and for that she was grateful, but that wasn't what was niggling her. She was convinced he'd been the guy she'd been watching in the barn only moments before. And no matter how tall or how muscular, there was no way he could've gotten from the barn in, what, less than five seconds?

Unless of course he was her guardian angel.

She didn't know why she was freaking out. She'd known strange, gifted people in Metropolis. She hadn't realised there were so many different people; after believing for so long that she were the only one. So why had she reacted the way she had when he'd saved her? Because let's face it, if he was some kind of weirdo then why bother saving her at all? And if he was her "guardian angel" then why the heck hadn't he bothered saving her before now?

She slowed down to a walk. Her thoughts were all over the place. She was acting all crazy and irrational. That was probably down to the fact that she hadn't eaten since that morning. Her blood-sugar levels were screaming at her. Her stomach began to grumble and her mouth watered as she remembered the offer of apple pie. Another point in his favor. From her knowledge of weird guys, they didn't save you then offer you a slice of pie.

She groaned at the thought of food and pushed her hand into her coat pocket pulling out a five-dollar bill and a stick of gum.

Great.