Far From Yesterday

That Friday morning as planned Lex left early for his business meeting in Metropolis and Kennedy for her shift at the Talon. Things between them still weren't easy. He loved her and he wasn't prepared to let anything stand in the way of them being together. In spite of the fact that she still couldn't voice her true feelings for him. She knew if she did, it would only make him as equally determined. And Lex Luthor was the most determined man she'd ever met.

He had been good about one thing though - he was prepared to give her space and time. He hadn't touched her since yesterday morning, he hadn't mentioned what they had discussed, nor made any attempts to kiss her. Over dinner they had chatted about everything except what they both knew they should be discussing - their relationship. When they had finished eating she got up to leave, declaring she was tired and needed an early night and even though she could see it in his eyes, he hadn't asked her to spend the night with him. She had wanted it just as much. Which only managed to confuse her further. Since the morning after the night before he had been nothing short of the perfect gentleman...Time and space. In the hope that she would change her mind.

Kennedy figured it made no difference whether or not she told him how she felt anyway. He knew that she loved him. She knew he did. It was too real for her to fake and faking her innermost feelings was the one thing that Kennedy had never been very good at. The floating desk was the proof of that. In the ten years since she had developed her so-called 'gift' and been dating, that had never happened. She had never been in love. Until now.

But she was confused about everything, and that was no exaggeration. When she had left Metropolis she had planned on running forever, and if she never found another home again that was fine with her. But the train had pulled in for what should have just been an overnight pitstop and one week later here she was and she still hadn't pulled the bell cord, jumped back on board and shot through. In the space of a few days her objective had changed dramatically. She had made friends, she had a job. She had fallen in love and been offered a new home.

With Lex.

She should have realised the moment she got eyes on him that things would be complicated. Not turning her into the police should have been the first clue. Then breaking into his house - albeit she hadn't known it was his house - and having him offer her a warm bed for the night had been the second. She had seen all the warning signs flashing fire-truck red and yet she had ignored them all.

And all because she had been curious about the man offering her a safe harbor. 

That first night she had connected with Lex in a way she had never connected with anyone, and so her walls began to crumble and in their place her curiosity had built. She wanted to get to know the man behind the stories. Because she had heard the stories.

The Luthors were infamous around Smallville. They owned virtually all the land in the small town and Lex alone employed over two thousand people at his LexCorp plant. The powerful and wealthy Luthors were feared and admired, hated and respected in equal measures; but although she had heard the stories she hadn't listened to any of them, because Kennedy liked to make up her own mind. And that very first night she did exactly that. She had seen right through him and beneath the cool exterior and into the heart of the man. In Kennedy's eyes a man who opened up the door to his home and offered support to a stranger, couldn't be as bad as all those story-tellers would like people to believe.

Unlike his father.

Lionel Luthor wouldn't rest until he had found out every last detail of her life. Although why he would even want to know was a mystery to her. She wasn't anything special, with the exception of one thing - her ability. The one thing she didn't need for him to find out. But the fact that his son had befriended her was enough to have him delving into her life. He despised her and he didn't even know her. But he didn't have to. Lex's happiness wasn't enough to convince him that she was worthy enough. And maybe she had just hit the nail on the head.