Secret

Lex sat behind the desk in his office, scanning the computer screen before him. He had his email program set up to alert him whenever there was breaking news that could affect the many stocks and shares he had an interest in. In the past he'd often kept his computer on stand-by and had missed some great buy opportunitites on stocks. He tapped the mouse and opened the flashing icon in the top right of the screen. He gave a satisfied smile. Everything was running smoothly. The stocks were growing in price and his money had been invested wisely.

The door to his office opened further and he looked up as Kennedy's red curls appeared around the door. Three nights had passed since she'd been living here and Lex was becoming more and more aware of the insistent little knocks his heart gave whenever she smiled and came into a room.

'Hey,' she said giving him one of those aforementioned smiles. 'Not disturbing you, am I?'

He shook his head. 'Not at all. Come in.'

She stepped inside and Lex ran his gaze over her. She was wearing the same green combats and a black t-shirt with a slogan that read: Warning! Next Mood Swing: Two Minutes It made Lex smile over how appropriate it was. Even though, he still found himself wondering what she'd look like in a dress.

'Kennedy, why don't you ask Lana for an advance on your wages?' he ventured, leaning back in his chair.

She was standing by the fireplace and confused by the odd question, asked, 'For what? There's nothing I need.'

He ran his eyes over her clothes before lifting them back to her face. She gave him one of those pointed looks he was growing so fond of as she folded her arms across her chest.

'There's nothing wrong with my clothes. They're versatile and they go with everything,' she told him indignantly.

'I didn't say there was anything wrong with them.'

'Leaving in a hurry meant I didn't have time to pack the designer dresses.'

He smiled deeply. 'Now that's a shame.'

She lifted an eyebrow. 'Meaning?'

'Just an observation.' He leaned forward in his chair. 'Why don't you let me give you some cash so you can - ' 

'That won't be necessary,' she said cutting him off. 'I don't want your money, Lex. I'm not a charity case and I'm no leech.'

'I'm aware of that. But had you of allowed me to finish, I was going to add you can pay me back when you receive your first wage.'

'I'm fine,' she said shaking her head. 'And my clothes are fine. I can't afford to waste money on things I don't need.'

He shrugged casually and let it go. 'Just a thought. So, you're working at the Talon tonight?'

'I'm going down there now,' she told him. 'That's what I was coming to tell you.'

'Do you need me to pick you up?'

'I'll be fine.'

He nodded. He had offered to pick her up the night before too. She had insisted then that she was fine. He knew very well she was capable of looking after herself, but the nights were drawing in and by the time the Talon closed up at around nine, the country roads of Smallville were growing quiet. And around here, weird things began to happen after dark. Plus, it was a good fifteen minute walk from the town to the mansion. Not that he had ever walked it. But Clark had once told him when he and his friend Chloe Sullivan had come to the mansion to interview him for the school paper.

'Just be careful,' he told her as she turned and made for the door.

She stopped and quirked an eyebrow at him. 'Watch it, Lex. A girl might think you're starting to care,' she joked. Then she gave him a wink that Lex could only describe as saucy and turned and left.