Yesterday's Feelings

'...and y'know, I really didn't think I'd end up having so much fun,' Kennedy finished.

Lana smiled at her. They were both working the early shift at the Talon the next day and enjoying the lull before the lunch-time rush.

'You sound surprised,' noted Lana, as she began to slice a pistachio cream pie into equal sized portions.

Kennedy wiped out the drip tray on the espresso machine. 'Shame you couldn't make it.'

'Unfortunately one of the downsides to being a manager is having to do the work yourself when you don't have the staff,' said Lana. Then she shrugged. 'But I don't mind.'

'Clark's a funny guy when you get to know him,' said Kennedy casually, glancing across at Lana. She was hoping to see some sort of reaction from her at the mention of Clark's name. 

Lana lifted her eyes and smiled. 'I sometimes think the deep and serious side is just a front.'

'So you've known him a long time?'

Lana nodded. 'Since we were kids. I used to live with my Aunt in the house next to the Kent farm. So we pretty much grew up together.'

Kennedy knew that Lana had gone to live with her Aunt after her parents had been killed in the freak meteor shower that had hit Smallville. Maybe that was the reason Kennedy got along so well with the pretty dark-haired girl. In a lot of ways they were very similar. They had both lost their parents.

'So there's never been any romance?' Kennedy asked, knowing full well there hadn't.

Lana flushed only slightly then quickly shook her head. 'No. We're just friends. Clark and Chloe went out together one time and, I don't know, a part of me wonders if he still has feelings for her.'

'But if he didn't?'

Lana's eyebrows shot up. 'Well, I, I don't know. It's hard to imagine Clark and I as anything other than friends.'

It was fairly obvious that Lana had often thought about Clark the way he had her. Kennedy sighed. Love. It could be so frustrating.

'Why the sigh?' Lana asked.

'I was just thinking.'

'Do you need to talk?'

Kennedy smiled warmly at her. 'I'm good. So, did Chloe give you all the gory details from her date last night?'

Lana grinned. 'Yeah, she really likes Drew. They're going out again.'

'Pete'll be pleased to hear that.'

'He really likes her. It's a shame, because I think they'd make for a cute couple.'

'Love,' said Kennedy. 'It makes you wonder why people bother. It bites.'

Lana smiled. 'And a warm welcome back to Miss. Sceptical.'

Kennedy threw her a grin. 'You know what I mean.'

Lana thought of Whitney and how she thought they were meant to be. Then he had left for the Marines and everything had fallen apart. A few months later he had been killed in action.

A customer needing to be served soon pulled her out of the doldrums and while she did that, Kennedy finished off cleaning up the espresso machine before disappearing into the kitchen to see what needed to be done in there.

Lana had just served up a coffee and a slice of the pistachio cream pie she had just sliced when Lex came in and sauntered over to the counter. 'Hey,' she smiled.

'Lana,' he nodded at her. 'How's it going?'

'Great,' she said. 'Can I get you anything?' 

He sat down on a stool and pointed to the espresso machine. 'I'll have a double tall. With extra espresso.'