Hero in Green

Lex was alone in his office playing billiards that evening when the door opened and Clark came inside. For a moment he hoped it might be Kennedy, she had disappeared up to her room a few hours ago and he hadn't seen her since. She was clearly avoiding him and had he of known his invitation was going to illicit such a reaction, he wouldn't have asked. But after the poem, seeing the tears in her eyes had moved him. Moved him beyond belief. In that one moment she had looked vulnerable - nothing at all like the Kennedy he had come to know - and in that moment he had taken leave of his senses and thrown caution to the wind. Only to be brought back down to earth with a painful bump.

The last thing he wanted was to upset her, which was why he'd apologised. He didn't want to scare her away, either. His breath caught. Maybe she wasn't hiding out in her room. Maybe she had already packed her bag and gone. A skitter of panic seared through him and he realised he was in this a lot deeper than he first imagined.

'Hey, Lex, not disturbing you am I?' asked Clark with a smile.

'Clark. No, come on in,' Lex replied.

'One of the maids let me in,' he explained as he came further into the office.

Lex nodded and rested the billiard cue on top of the table. 'So is this a social visit?'

'Actually, I'm here to pick up Kennedy.'

Lex seemed to pause, before picking it up again to cross the room towards the drinks cabinet. 'Kennedy?' he asked casually as he could.

'We're heading out to the movies. She around?'

Picking up the crystal decanter of scotch and knowing it was petty and immature, he felt the jealous tension in his jaw. Another feeling he had never experienced. It seemed that he was experiencing a lot of new feelings since her arrival. She told him she couldn't get involved with anyone. Yet here she was going on a date with Clark. He poured himself a glass of scotch.

'Right,' said Lex. 'When did this happen?'

'When did what happen?'

Lex turned to look at him. 'The two of you going on a date.' He took a drink.

'It's not a date. Pete's coming with us, too. We were all meant to be going. But Lana has to work and Chloe blew us off for some guy.'

Lex suddenly felt ridiculous and glad both at the same time. He took another sip of scotch. 'I see.'

'So is she around? Pete's waiting in the truck.'

'I'm here. Hey, Clark.'

He turned and Kennedy was standing in the doorway. He smiled at her. 'Hey, you ready to go?'

She nodded and then shifted her gaze to Lex who was standing one hand in pocket, the other holding his scotch. He lifted the glass to his lips as he looked at her over the gilt-edged rim she felt her stomach dance along with the need to take a long, deep breath. She quickly shifted her eyes back to Clark.

'Is Lana coming?' she asked him.

'She couldn't get anyone to cover her shift. And you know about Chloe, right?'

'I kind of played a small part in her defection.'

'So, it's just you, me and Pete. Think you can handle it?' he grinned.

She smiled at him. 'I'll try my best.'

Neither of them had mentioned the incident at the Talon the other night, but both of them knew they'd reached a new plane in their friendship.

'We should go. Pete's waiting.'

'Okay,' she nodded and turned back to Lex, he was still studying her. 'I'll see you later.'