Follow Me

Lex was in his office, the telephone wedged between his chin and his shoulder. He was talking to his father who was on a business trip in Washington DC and as always Lex found himself becoming irritated by what he considered to be his father's constant checking-up on him. His father had sent him to Smallville almost two years before to run the fertilizer plant and to turn it around financially. Also to see if he had matured any and developed a head for business. He was the only heir to the Luthor fortune and the man who would one day take the reins of the company his father had worked hard to build.

Back then Lionel had seen the assignment as a challenge, whereas Lex had viewed being sent to the sleepy small town as some sort of punishment for not living up to his father's expectations. But if there was one thing Lex Luthor knew how to do, it was to make the most of a bad lot. His father's distance during his childhood and teenage years had learned him well. Since then Lex had made a life for himself in Smallville and had started his own thriving business as well as buying out the old Ross factory from his father.

'Is this why you called me, dad? To find out what I have or haven't been up to while you've been gone?' he asked unable to keep the annoyance from his voice.

'I called to find out how you were, son. Isn't a father allowed to do that?'

'I guess,' said Lex with an impatient sigh, and added to himself, But for you it's a little unorthodox. 'So how's Washington?'

'It's going well. I hope to seal the transaction while I'm here. It'll certainly save me from flying back out again.'

'Right,' said Lex trying to remain interested. He knew his father was buying into another chemical company which had been experiencing difficulties keeping afloat. Lex also knew once his father bought the company that any staff would be fired. There were plenty of others who wanted to work for the great Lionel Luthor. They all wanted the Luthor Corp name on their resumes. After all, his father was the largest pesticide manufacturer in the United States. 'So when you coming back?'

'A few days. I'll call and let you know, son.'

'Fair enough,' said Lex. He leaned forward in his chair while he glanced at the figures on the crystal display screen before him. A noise out in the hallway made him look up, the door to his office was open and he saw Kennedy. Realising he was on the telephone she was about to step back out into the hallway, when he placed his hand over the mouthpiece. 'Kennedy,' he said. 'It's okay. Come in.'

When she stepped in he saw her bag and coat in her arms.

'Dad,' he said into the mouthpiece. 'I have to go. Yeah, whatever. Bye.' He hung up the telephone.

'Sorry about that,' she said pointing to the telephone.

'It wasn't anything important,' he said dismissing it. 'How did you sleep?'

She smiled. 'Well, it's ten-thirty and I never usually sleep any later than seven, so...'

He smiled with her. 'So the bed was maybe a little too comfortable.'

She bit down on her bottom lip and nodded. 'It was perfect. Thank you.'

'Don't mention it. So, you're leaving,' he said gesturing to her belongings in her arms.

'Just one night, remember?' she reminded him. 'I wanted to make an early start. Guess that's out the window.'

'An early start to anywhere,' he said leaning back in his chair to study her.

'Wherever the road takes me.' As long as it's far away from Metropolis.

'You never did mention what happened.'