Everything

'Y'know, it's beyond me why you don't just move your bed in here.'

At the sound of Lex's voice, Kennedy looked up from the book she'd been engrossed in. She peered through the wooden slats of the library's balcony and smiled down at him. 'Do you mind me spending so much time in here?'

He smiled back, hands slipping into his pockets. 'Not at all. At least I know where to find you.'

She got to her feet and leaned over the railing so she could see him better. 'I like it in here.'

'No kidding,' he teased, then nodded towards the book in her hand. 'What is it this time?'

'Cyrano de Bergerac.'

'Ah,' he said with a nod. 'Rostand. Good choice. One of my favorites.'

'It's a classic. And classics are meant to be cherished.'

'Especially the rare one that is actually decent,' Lex added.

'Why do you like it so much?'

'The guy had the world's most outsized nose. Much like being permanently bald,' he shrugged. 'So I guess I've always related to Cyrano. He's brilliant, witty, talented and yet he has this insecurity based on that which defines him physically, above all else.'

'So you're two of a kind, huh?'

'Something like that. The part in the play when Cyrano duels with the Viscount after he insults his nose is particularly clever. He invents spontaneous rhyming insults that the Viscount could have used had he of had any brains or creativity. It's utterly disarming. Cyrano wins the duel, both physically and psychologically.'

She smiled and for a moment his eyes held hers. He wondered how it was possible for a girl to be so incredibly captivating. There was nothing and everything between them. Lex was rich, he was powerful; admired by some and feared by others. But looking at Kennedy he felt a kind of power different from any he'd ever known. In that moment, with every part of himself that he knew and parts of himself he hadn't yet figured out, Lex understood what that power was telling him.

He was falling in love with her.

The realisation of the strength of his feelings floored him. He had never before experienced a connection like the one he felt with her, and suddenly he was overcome with wanting to tell her everything he had been feeling from the moment she had walked into his life. So he did. Without thinking he found Cyrano's words to his love Roxanne come to his lips.

'When I look at you, I feel as if I can bring the stars down from the sky.'

Kennedy's breath caught and held in her throat. He stood there, gazing up at her, his hands deep in his pockets, and with a look on his face she'd seen once before. The day he had asked her to dinner. She could hear her heart pounding as his gaze held hers. And his words...where had they come from? Until she realised that they were in fact a line from the play. Feeling a little silly and a lot flustered, she slowly licked her lips and played along. Although she had no idea why. Reciting the next line, she spoke.

'Your words glitter like stars. But are they true?'

'Never until tonight have I spoken to you from my heart. Here in the dark, I feel free to speak the truth, without fear of being mocked.'

'Mocked for what?'

'Feelings. Honesty. The night is a cloak that hides my words.'

'You've no need to hide from me. It is your words I love.'

Lex took a small step forward, his gaze never leaving hers. 'Then let me speak,' he said quietly. 'Before I lose my courage.' The truth, Cyrano's and his own, came from his lips. 'I love you. Only now do I know the meaning of true love. It means I would give up my happiness for the sake of yours, even without your knowledge. And I will love you until the day I die.'