Small Town, Big Hearts

Martha Kent placed her hands gently onto her son's shoulders and cocked her head to the side to peer at him. 'Clark, everything okay?'

Clark was sitting at the breakfast table that next morning and he had been unusually quiet. In fact, since he had gotten home from the Talon the night before he hadn't had much to say to either of his parents. And that wasn't like him. He twisted in his chair to look up at his mother and gave her a reassuring smile. 'Sure, Mom.'

'Are you sure?' she asked. 'You've been quiet all morning.'

'Yeah,' said Jonathan as he helped himself to another slice of toast. 'The silence is deafening,' he joked.

'I'm fine,' Clark assured them both.

'Nothing on your mind?' asked Martha not convinced. She sat down at the table and began to eat her breakfast.

Clark shrugged. 'Nothing.'

It was a lie of course. He hadn't been able to forget what had happened the night before. After walking Lana back to Chloe's, Kennedy had insisted she was okay walking herself. On arriving he had locked himself away in his room and spent a good few hours at his computer, searching the web for answers, before stumbling upon a site that told him everything he needed to know about telekinesis - the ability to move things with the mind. It was the only explanation as to what he had seen Kennedy do. She had to be telekinetic. Either that or she was a witch. Which he seriously doubted. Although in Smallville, anything was possible.

He had absorbed article after article about other known cases throughout the world. There weren't many. It was a very rare thing and according to scientists, telekinesis was a 'psychic phenomenon' often triggered by a period of extreme emotional distress in the persons life. It mainly affected children of a young age, but it had also been known to affect full-grown adults too.

It made Clark stop and think, Kennedy was around his age, maybe a little older and it seemed that she had no one. No family as such. It had made him think back to the night they had met and how it had seemed as if she were running away from something. Maybe she'd escaped a terrible home life or it could be something else entirely. He had wanted to ask his parents if they had ever heard or known of anyone with telekinesis, but had ruled against it. They would want to know why and he couldn't tell them. He had told Kennedy he wouldn't tell anyone. And that included his parents. No matter how understanding and trusting they were. He wouldn't break his word.

'What are your plans for today, Clark?' Martha asked as they ate.

But Clark wasn't listening, he was still thinking about Kennedy. Martha looked at her husband across the table. Jonathan smiled and shook his head.

'Teenagers,' he said. 'Clark. Hey, Son.'

'Huh?' blinked Clark. 'Did you say something?'

'Welcome back to earth. Again,' Jonathan joked, as he put a forkful of eggs into his mouth.

Martha smiled at her husband and then put down her knife and fork. She looked at Clark and he saw the worried look in her eyes. 'Are you certain there's nothing you want to tell us? Or talk about?'

'I'm fine, Mom,' he told her in a gentle, reassuring tone. 'I guess I'm just a little tired.'

'Is that possible?' she asked glancing at her husband. Clark's strength and power was growing by the year. Maybe his developing powers were taking it out of him. She had never heard him complain of being tired before.

Jonathan smiled. 'Even superheros need a little R'n'R, Martha.' 

Clark stood up, the chair scraping the floor beneath. 'I'm all done,' he said. 'I think I'll make a start on my chores then head out. Is that okay?'