From the Heart

After finishing her shift at the Talon and even though she and Lex had gained new ground in their perplexing relationship, Kennedy didn't feel much like going back to the mansion. She had wandered slowly back along the main road but had stopped when she saw the mansions many turrets poking up through the trees ahead. Turning around she began to make her way back down the road, kicking at the stones and pebbles that lay in her path. She didn't know what was wrong with her. She and Lex were okay and the initial dread she had felt over the possibility of having to leave, had gone. So what was wrong with her? She knew she couldn't get involved with Lex and he had made it clear that it wasn't an issue, so why was she feeling so damn down?

Because she had wanted him to want her. She had wanted him to take her out to dinner. Even though she knew her feelings on it all, she had wanted to be wanted. By him.

She walked a little further and found herself at the driveway that led up to a farm. Its big sunshine yellow colored house sat at the top of the stretch of track and next to it a huge old, red wooden barn. Looking up at the sign creaking above the archway she realised it was the Kent farm. Looking to her left she saw the exact spot where Clark had saved her only a few nights ago. The fence had since been mended. Had she come here instinctively? She knew Clark was at home, he had only left the Talon an hour ago and she knew he wouldn't mind her dropping in on him. She needed to see a friendly face. And someone to talk to.

Reaching the stop in the path that forked off towards the house and the barn, there was a tall, handsome blond man working on a tractor parked outside the barn. She knew it was Clark's father, although she had never actually met him.

Beneath the hood of the tractor, Jonathan cursed under his breath and tossed the spanner angrily to the ground. He didn't see the young flame-haired girl approach him. If he had, he wouldn't have cursed.

'Problems?'

The voice startled him and he almost banged his head on the tractor hood. Straightening up he saw the girl and gave her a welcoming smile. 'I didn't hear anybody come up the driveway,' he said apologising, knowing she must have heard his angry curse.

'Sorry,' Kennedy apologised too, gesturing to his head. 'I didn't mean to startle you.'

Jonathan reached into the back pocket of his jeans and pulled out a rag to wipe his oily hands. 'No harm done. Are you a friend of Clark's?' She seemed around Clark's age which was he why had presumed she must be.

Kennedy nodded. 'He around?'

'Sure,' Jonathan told her. 'Up in the hayloft in the barn. Go on up.'

'Thanks. Oh, I'm Kennedy by the way.'

'Glad to meet you, Kennedy. It's always nice to meet Clark's friends. Do you go to school together?'

'No,' she replied shaking her head. 'We just kind of know each other. I work at the Talon.'

'Ah, right,' said Jonathan nodding. 'Well, I'm Jonathan Kent, Clark's father. Although you've probably already worked that out for yourself,' he smiled.

Kennedy smiled back. 'Yeah, I'm quick off the mark like that.'

Jonathan chuckled and the sound of it made Kennedy think of her father. She felt a stab of emotion, even as she smiled at the man that was Clark's. She pushed her hands into her jean pockets and wandered further over towards him, nodding towards the tractor.

'So...what's up with it?'

'Starter motor,' Jonathan told her. 'I've replaced it. Still won't budge.'

'Did you check all the spark plugs?' asked Kennedy standing on her tip-toes and peering down into the guts of the engine.

Jonathan smiled. 'You know something about engines?'