What You Wanted

The huge and well-stocked library within the Luthor mansion was situated on the first floor. There was a desk, a comfortable leather sofa and table, as well as a Georgian fireside chair just right for a relaxing read by the stone mantel fireplace. In the far corner of the room a spiral staircase wound its way up onto the walk-around balcony, where Lex's father had filled the wide mahogany shelves with every book imaginable. There were hundreds upon hundreds of leather bound volumes, and Lex often wondered if, before his father's blindness, he had managed to read just a quarter of them. Lex had lived in the mansion for the last couple of years and was still working his way through one wall.

After finishing up his work and enjoying a light lunch, he decided to take a wander into the library. He hadn't been looking for anything in particular to read, just something to relax over and casually flick through. But in the half hour he'd been in there he had been disturbed numerous times by his cell phone. He had been half tempted to turn it off, but didn't, as his phone was the only way his employees and associates could make contact with him. He knew they would never bother him unnecessarily. He was up on the balcony when he heard the faint echo of a door being closed somewhere down the long hallway, and lifted his head from the book in his hands. Another door opened and promptly closed again. And another. Then he heard the impatient voice.

'Lex! Where are you? This place should come with a map!'

He smiled to himself.

Kennedy.

The annoyance in her voice was apparent and he wondered if it was because she was having trouble locating him. He supposed it had more to do with the events of earlier and the Talon.

The latter, definitely, he thought amused. 

The double doors to the library opened further and she came inside, taking a quick look around. Even at the height he was, he could see the look of wonder light up on her face. She made her way over to one of the many free-standing bookcases at the far side of the room, and ran her fingers down the spines of the many books, before pulling out a red leather-bound one and opening it. So, he had discovered something else that captured this intriguing young woman's interest. She herself was like a book to him. With every turning page he discovered something new. 

She tucked a red curl behind her ear and slowly turned another page. The obvious annoyance she had felt only moments before was clearly forgotten. In that one brief moment, Lex was taken with her. He had never seen a more beautiful sight and his heart gave an insistent little knock. The realisation of what he'd been thinking, had him straightening up. Then as quickly as it happened, he dismissed it. Resting his arms on the balcony rail he leaned forward. 

'Find something you like?'

Kennedy lifted her head, scanned the room and saw him up on the balcony, book in hand, smiling down at her. Her eyes narrowed and the annoyance returned. She slammed the book closed and put it back onto the shelf.

'You are the most arrogant and obnoxious man I've ever met,' she said turning back to face him.

'Why, thank you.'

Planting her hands firmly on her hips Kennedy scowled at him, which only made Lex smile all the more. She was very pretty when she scowled. 'Who do you think you are?' she demanded.

'I thought we already covered that? And you left out opinionated.'

His obvious teasing released a short, sharp hiss of annoyance from her.

'Are you angry with me, Kennedy?' he asked, his tone light.

'Bet your ass I am. You had no right, Lex. No right at all. I hadn't even made up my mind about staying and you were pushing me into a job.'