Green Butterfly

Kennedy stood in front of the cheval mirror and smiled at Lana's reflection behind her. 'I'm so grateful for this, Lana. Really. I don't know what I'd have done without your input.'

'Don't mention it,' Lana smiled, as she did up the concealed zipper on the back of the dress. 'Rather enjoying myself to be honest. It's been a long time since I gave someone a makeover. And this dress fits you like a glove. How on earth did Lex know to get the right size?'

Kennedy dropped her eyes and smiled as she ran her hands down the front of the creamy satin dress. 'I have no idea,' she murmured.

Lana smiled at the soft way her friend's voice had dropped and smiled. 'I never thought he had it in him,' she said, fastening the pearlised button at the top. 'There. Done. Now, do the honor by giving me a twirl.'

Kennedy obliged. She turned, spun once and facing Lana held out both hands. 'What's the verdict, Miss. Lang?'

Lana's smile deepened as she took a step back to look at her friend.

The bead encrusted bodice of the dress fit Kennedy's slim figure snugly, while the skirt nipping in at the waist accentuated every curve she had and as for the color - emerald green - it was so perfect with her dark red coloring, pale skin and green eyes. Kennedy had given Lana free reign with her hair and make-up and although the dress was strapless and elegant, pinning up all those gorgeous red curls seemed such a shame to Lana. So she had opted for a half-up half-down style, using a green and silver mother-of-pearl barrette, still elegant but with a young feel. With skin as flawless as Kennedy's there had been no need to go crazy with the make-up, just a touch of peach blush swept high over her cheekbones, a smoky silver-grey shadow outlined her eyes, a little mascara and to finish off a slick of peach lipgloss. The finishing touches were a pair of silver strappy sandals that Lana had bought especially for the last Winter Formal accompanied with a silver satin purse.

'Okay, uh, wow about covers it,' Lana smiled. 'You look amazing.'

'You think?' Kennedy said, wrinkling up her nose. 'I don't look like a high-class call girl?'

Lana laughed. 'You look beautiful. Lex isn't going to know what hit him,' she added with a grin making Kennedy flush slightly as she bit on her bottom lip.

'It's just dinner.'

'Just dinner, my eye. He bought you three dresses, Kennedy. It's clearly a lot more to Lex than 'just dinner'.'

'You're making me nervous, Lana. Please stop.'

Lana chuckled. 'What do you think's going to happen tonight?'

'I have no idea.'

'Get used to that feeling,' teased Lana. 'Life with Lex Luthor can be unpredictable.'

'Yeah...I'm beginning to get that.'

'Don't look so worried.' She ran her eyes over the dress once more and tapped a finger against her bottom lip. 'There's something missing...'

'There is?' Kennedy queried as Lana began rummaging through the pile of accessories and whatnot on the bed. 'What more could I possibly need?'

'This,' Lana declared and held up her green meteorite necklace. The small green stone was shaped like a spinning top and set in a silver base, attached to a thin silver chain. As it dangled from her fingers, the lamp within the room sent prisms of vibrant green light shooting in all directions.

'Oh, Lana, it's so pretty,' Kennedy gasped. She touched the green stone, running the chain through her fingers. 'I've never seen anything like it.'