Honey Drops

Lex was still hard at work in his office, so Kennedy had taken a wander into the library and up onto the balcony, stopping every now and then to scan the book spines.

This must be what it feels like to be a lady of leisure, she thought.

To have absolutely nothing to do except worry over what to wear and which of the silverware to bring out for dinner. She wasn't saying she was bored, it was just today was the first time since her arrival in Smallville that she had nothing to do.

Spotting a book of poems she opened up the cover. She loved poetry. Had done from a very early age. Poetry had been her mother's passion too and after her death, Kennedy had inherited her cherished book of poems by Lord Byron, their favorite poet.

She sat cross-legged on the floor and read through the first page. There were poems by W.B. Yeats, John Donne, Keats and of course, Byron. Some of them made Kennedy smile, some of them made her feel sad. Poetry could do that. It could lift your spirit high one moment and then break your heart in two the next.

She was so enthralled by what she was reading that she didn't hear Lex come inside, it wasn't until she heard a cellphone ring that she looked up. Leaning forward she peered through the wooden slats and saw him by one of the mahogany bookcases on the floor below. Feeling as if she were intruding on his privacy she got to her feet. From what she could make out the phonecall wasn't anything she shouldn't be listening too, but still.

'Yes, Dad, four days,' Lex sighed impatiently. 'No. Fine. Okay, see you then.' He ended the call and slipped the phone back into his pocket.

Resting her forearms on the balcony rail, Kennedy watched as he pulled out a book and flipped the cover open. She hadn't seen much of him that day, only a brief encounter before she had left earlier that morning; and she realised she had missed him.

What was she thinking? Why was she allowing these ridiculous feelings to take over? More to the point, how had they happened so quickly? It wasn't like her.

Lex flipped over a page and she ran her eyes over him. She liked what he was wearing today. Dark, expensive cut trousers and a grey silk shirt, top button undone just enough to see the smoothness of his chest. Her heart skipped a beat. She pretty much liked the rest of him too. Especially his eyes and his smile. And the quiet, lazy drawl of his voice. She groaned softly.

Here we go again. Get a grip and forget about it. Even if you could do something, he isn't interested.

He put the book back onto the shelf and was about to turn and leave when he looked up and saw her watching him, her waves of red hair tumbling over her shoulders. He felt his heart give a knock as she smiled warmly at him.

'Well, hey there, handsome,' she said saucily.

Lex's smile deepened. The compliment hadn't gone unnoticed, nor the warm feeling that spread throughout his entire being. 'May I ask why Juliet is skulking around up there?'

'Juliet never skulked. She waited for her Romeo. But I, was reading.' She held aloft the book in her hand.

'And what's netted your interest this time?' he asked slipping his hands into his trouser pockets.

'A book of poems.'

'You like poetry?'

'I love poetry.'

He nodded. 'Me too.'

'You like poetry?' she asked sounding surprised.

He smiled. 'Who do you think owns most of those books up there?'