Sittin' On Top of the World

Outside she could hear the faint humming of the birds and inside the ticking of the clock on the bedside table. She turned over and flung one arm over her head, the cream silk canopy above, its soft gauziness fluttering slightly at the movement. The rest of the bed was pretty incredible, too. A king-size solid oak four-poster with a mattress at least thirty inches thick. Just as she had imagined.

Kennedy smiled to herself and snuggled down deeper into the warm, cosy covers. She could happily stay there all day, the birds singing outside the window and the warm feeling inside. But she knew she couldn't. With a heavy crashing-down-to-earth sigh, she glanced at the clock and was surprised to see it was almost ten. She never slept late, had never allowed herself or been able to.

She threw back the covers and swung her legs over the side of the bed, her feet didn't even touch the floor. She wriggled her toes and with a little jump she was walking to the window. It was a beautiful day, the storm last night had cleared the air and the sun was shining high and bright in the blue sky. The view was incredible, like being on top of the world. She could see miles and miles of beautiful gardens and distant farm-land. She could even see horses grazing in a field nearby. She felt like a princess in a fairytale castle.

And Lex...was he her knight in shining armor? He had certainly come to her rescue. She rolled her eyes and shook her head.

Sliding back into reality she made her way across the sumptuous room, toes curling in the thick shag-pile rug, and into the bathroom. She looked at her bandaged hand. Then remembered how gentle Lex had been when he'd applied it. He was a mystery, but one she would never get to unravel. After this morning she'd never see him again. And this time tomorrow, Lord only knew where she'd be. But she was grateful to him. He had shown her more kindness in a short time, more than anyone ever had.

She washed and dried herself off before brushing her teeth. After tying her hair up into a high pony-tail, she went back into the bedroom to get dressed. While she pulled a pair of well-worn jeans from her bag, she noticed how eerily quiet it was and wondered if Lex had left for the day. No doubt he had an office in some huge skyscraper of a building somewhere. Maybe he'd even forgotten she was here. A person could easily forget in a place this size.

She pulled a clean vest over her head and tugged on her boots, then quickly made up the bed and stuffing her things into her bag, slung it over her shoulder and picked up her coat from the chair by the window. She stopped at the door and looked back into the room remembering Lex's words when he had shown her down the hall to the room only the night before.

I think you'll like this one. It's the only guest room that has a tub.

A bath seemed like a little piece of heaven and he'd known without her even saying a word how much she would prefer a long, luxurious soak in a foam-filled tub than a quick few minutes in a shower. Then he had opened the door and it felt like she had stepped into a dream. She had never seen a room so big or so beautiful. The four-poster bed took precedence, the cream silk canopy and the matching bedspread luxuriously feminine. The furnishings were all oak and tastefully elegant. An eighteenth century Charles I cheval mirror stood by the window. In the far corner the wardrobes and tallboy took up the entire length of the wall and there was a pretty dressing table with three oval shaped mirrors and a stool covered in cream velvet. The walls were also a delicate shade of cream with tiny pink rosebuds printed into the satin wallpaper. There were paintings and vases of dried flowers and the whole room was the most exquisite thing she had ever seen. It made her wonder why a man would have a room as beautiful and elegant as this in his home.

It's so beautiful, she had said, stepping further inside. Seems a shame to let someone use it.

Actually, he had told her. No one has.

She had looked at him and he had seen the question laced with the obvious happiness in her eyes and it had made his heart give a little knock against the wall of his chest. But as quickly as it had happened he had dismissed it. He had known she would like the room. It felt nice to make someone happy. That was all it was.

Get some rest, he had said and then closed the door behind him.

Now, hand on the polished brass doorknob, she took one last look around her and then quietly closed the door on her little piece of heaven.

_____________________________________________

COPYRIGHT. © ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Debra Jay. 2003