Serendipity

Kennedy almost reached the top of the stairs when the hand grabbed her and no matter how hard she tried she couldn't break free. She kicked out and struggled all to no avail. They weren't letting go. Her duffel bag fell from her shoulder and dropped to the floor with a thud.

'Get off me!' She whirled around to glare her captor in the face, and to her horror and surprise, saw it was the bald guy whose car she'd tried to steal that very day. 'Oh great!' she said in disbelief.

'You!' said Lex, just as surprised to find himself looking into those wide green eyes again. 'What the hell are you doing breaking into my house?'

'You gotta be kidding me, your house? Seriously? Twice in one day. This can't be happening.'

'Some people have all the luck,' said Lex dryly. 'Do you have something against me or was this just a well-timed opportunity?'

'I didn't know this was your place, okay? I just,' she blew back a stray red curl from her eyes, 'I needed a place to crash for the night.'

'And you thought you would crash here.'

'Dumb, huh?' she muttered.

'I'd say. How did you get in?'

'Easy. I broke a - ' She stopped when she caught the disapproving look in his eyes. 'Is it my fault you don't have a security system installed? A place like this should have a security system. You got one on your precious car - '

'The storm cut the power to the system,' he interrupted. 'The lights too in case you hadn't noticed. But after your - how did you describe it earlier - party trick? I'm beginning to doubt that the quarter of a million dollars my father spent on the installation would have even thwarted your attempt to get in.'

'Whatever,' she said almost impatiently. 'So what now? You call your buddy Deputy Donut?'

A brief smile flickered over Lex's features. 'Tell me what you're doing here. In Smallville,' he added at her questioning look.

'I wasn't planning on staying,' she told him. 'Just passing through. But what with bungled car theft and damn thunderstorms, girl has to wonder if someone on a bigger level has a hand in it all.'

'Serendipity.'

She lifted one eyebrow. 'S'cuse me?'

'Something that happens purely by chance leading onto a series of pre-determined events.'

'Oh-kay,' she mocked. 'If you believe in that crap.'

Lex smiled. 'I never used to.' For a moment his steely ice blue eyes softened.

'Can we let go of the arm now?'

'I have to see to the electrician,' he explained letting go of her arm and slipping his hands into his trouser pockets. 'I was just on my way there when surprise, surprise, you show up. You're soaking wet and you're obviously hungry. In the last few moments you've been chewing almost to the point of frenzy on that gum.'

Kennedy stopped chewing and immediately pushed the gum to the side of her mouth. She wasn't about to enlighten him with the fact that her frenzied chewing had been down to nerves.

'So, you'll find the kitchen on the next floor down, to the right at the bottom of the hall,' he said turning to nod with his head. 'May I suggest you see what you can rustle up, while I go check on the electrician.'

Kennedy almost choked on the gum. 'I'm sorry, what?'

The look on her face made Lex smile. 'I said, the kitchen is - '