Good Samaritan

Lex found her in the kitchen sitting at the granite-topped island, munching on a sandwich crammed with cheese and a bottle of water at her side. He stood in the doorway holding a lighted church candle and took a moment to watch her.

Who is she? And why do I care so much?

It was like an under the skin itch. And it niggled him. Okay, so she was a pretty little thing, despite the obvious lack of respect for other people's property...

But, there's something else.

She reminded him a lot of himself at that age. Rebellious. No respect for authority. Trying to make a mark on the world. He didn't know why he would feel this way, but he was overcome with the feeling that she had lost everything. Just then she lifted a hand to push her hair from her face and let out a painful hiss. Lex saw the blood and presumed it had happened when she had broken in. She got up and crossed to the sink, running the cold faucet, she held her bleeding hand under the spray.

'There's a first-aid kit around here somewhere,' he said.

Startled, Kennedy jumped and saw him standing in the doorway. He looked almost eerie and even more enigmatic standing there holding a candle as he watched her with intent. As if on cue, a roll of thunder sounded outside and she found herself swallowing.

'It's just a scratch,' she told him turning off the faucet, then went back to sit at the bar. She picked up the sandwich and took a bite.

Lex came inside and set the candle down on the work-top, then began opening up the many cupboards. He eventually found the first-aid kit beneath the sink and went over to her.

'Give me your hand,' he said.

'It's fine.'

'Give me your hand,' he repeated.

'Is this how you get what you want? By barking out orders?'

'Just give me your hand.' He opened up the first-aid kit and took out a tube of antiseptic salve. Unscrewing the lid he looked at her. 'Well?'

She sighed and because she was too tired to argue, she put down the sandwich and held out her hand. He squeezed a small blob of the salve onto the cut and Kennedy felt it sting.

'Apply it,' he said and then took out a bandage and began unwrapping it from the sterile packet.

'Why are you doing this?' she asked as she rubbed the salve into her palm.

'Because I don't want you bleeding all over the place. Most of the floor coverings were hand-crafted in the Far East. Very expensive to replace.'

'I meant - '

'I know what you meant. Just my idea of a joke.' Then he slowly smiled.

She shook her head. 'You're weird,' she muttered.

'I've been called worse,' he replied. 'Hand.'

'Do you always get what you want?'

'Always.'

She didn't doubt it. Expertly and carefully he wrapped the bandage around her injured hand before tying it off.

'I think you'll live,' he said.

She made a fist and released it again. The bandage was tight enough to stem the bleeding but not so that it would cut off her circulation. She lifted an eyebrow and gave him a nod. 'Not bad,' she said, impressed.

He began to pack away the first-aid kit. She picked up her sandwich and took another bite. 'So,' he said bending to put the kit back beneath the sink. 'Do you have a name?'