Chapter 42

Ethan POV

He's awake.

I was outside the hospital, pulling out a carton of cigarettes from my pocket while glaring at a woman who'd given me a disapproving look. My heart was beating fast. The doctor had kicked me out of Daniel's room when I kept frantically asking them questions. He'd only been awake for a minute. I needed to sober up.

It wasn't your imagination. They'd said we'd have to wait for him to wake up again to find out if he had any memory loss... Or worse...

I shook my head sharply and lifted the lighter to the end of the cigarette, my cold fingers fumbling with it a bit before it sparked a flame. I leaned against the hospital building and inhaled deeply, closing my eyes.

He's okay.

I felt myself relax a bit and a smile started creeping on to my face. I released the smoke in a long exhale and opened my eyes. My phone buzzed and I glanced at the screen but a quick movement on the other corner of the wall caught my attention.

I dropped the cigarette and felt blood rushing to my head in anger.

I leapt forward and grabbed Mason by his neck with my hand and threw his body against the wall. His hands hopelessly tugged at mine trying to ease my grip while he gasped for breath. I pulled out my pocket knife with the other hand and put it against his cheek.

"Come to finish him off then?" I spat, his face was turning more red as he pulled harder against my hands. I glared into his dull eyes with hatred before taking a step back and shoving him to the ground.

He coughed heavily and gasped for breath on all fours, backing away from me. I took a step closer to him and he sat back up against the wall with his hands up in defense, still coughing. I crouched down in front of him with my knife still in hand, trying to read his face. I let him cough for a minute before saying anything.

"I should kill you." He raised his head and looked at me, it wasn't fear in his eyes, it was futility. His hand slowly moved to his neck as his heavy breathing started to slow.

"I just... came to see..." His voice was raspy, he seemed to be fighting for every word. I didn't realize I'd pressed that hard, but I felt no guilt.

"See? What? If he's dead?" He said nothing and avoided my eyes. I switched the knife to my right hand— the movement got his attention. He sat up straighter.

"No... I mean..." I waited for him to finish, not breaking my stare. "I guess. Is he...?"

"And why would I tell you?" I said, slowly. The images of blood pouring out of Daniel's head forced their way to my mind. There was so much... I snapped my eyes back to Mason, gripping the knife tighter. He looked at it then hung his head.

"Just do it then if you're gonna do it." We stayed frozen like that for a moment. Daniel's lifeless body flashed in my mind again and I moved suddenly, pressing the blade to his neck. His eyes snapped back up to mine and he said nothing. I clenched my teeth.

It's not worth it. A small voice in my head whispered. He's not worth it. My hand tightened around the handle before I slowly moved it away. My jaw was still set. Mason hadn't broken eye contact. I looked at his pathetic hunched figure and felt my anger rise.

"Get up." He looked dumbly up at me, and stayed still. I watched him for a moment before taking a step forward and kicking him hard. He fell back on his side, pushing off the ground. "I said get up." He slowly started to stand up, clutching his stomach. I took a deep breath and pulled him up faster by the collar of his shirt and shoved him back against the wall.