Chapter 23

Mason POV

Oh my god... Right after I'd warned him too...

"You okay, Mace? You look ill." My dad asked me. I knew I shouldn't answer truthfully- but what the hell?

"Sorry dad, but I didn't think this is how I would get involved..."

As expected, his mood changed quickly.

"What are you talking about?! You've been telling me how much this means to you and now that Dominic finally gives you a job you wanna chicken out?! You know that's not gonna fly!!! What did you think he'd send you on a simple mugging case come on, Mason. I raised you better than that!" I kept my mouth shut and stared at the tv. When I told my dad I wanted to get involved- I didn't mean to this level.

"Okay, I'll try."

"You better do more than try."

Ethan POV

"Hey Daniel," I said in what I hoped was a cheerful voice- I didn't want to worry him with this creep spying on him. He looked up from a list he'd been reading and smiled.

"Hey Ethan, sorry I've been so bad with texting you lately." He really did look like he felt bad and I immediately noticed the bags under his lifeless eyes and his hair that looked like it hadn't been combed in a week.

"Oh it's fine- are you okay? You look really tired..." I said leaning against the counter he was working at. I noticed a teenage boy working next to him, looking at us with a small smirk on his face- but when he saw me looking at him he quickly looked away and picked up a random pile of DVD's. I re-focused my attention to Daniel.

"Oh yeah I'm fine, I just had a... hard time sleeping last night." He laughed nervously. I frowned.

"Why? How late were you up?" He looked away for a moment before answering."

"If you want me to be completely honest with you, I didn't go to sleep last night- but I did have a long nap at school today..." He shrank away from my stare and picked up a random pile of DVDs- like the other kid. I could tell he was uncomfortable and I felt bad.

"Hey Daniel do you wanna take me to the comedy section? I'm having trouble finding it." I asked. His coworker gave me an irritated glance and kept working. Daniel didn't notice, but walked from behind the counter to the back of the store, and I followed him. He stopped in the comedy section and turned back to me.

"What's wrong? Why haven't you been sleeping?" I asked, concerned. If I knew there was trouble I would have had him stay with me.

"Oh I'm probably just seeing things or something but I thought I heard some guy trying to break into my room last night but honestly I was probably imagining it- probably just another one of my moms-"

"-Daniel you're staying at my apartment tonight- what did he look like?" I could feel my nails digging into my palms as I clenched my fists in anger. Daniel rubbed his face with his right hand and leaned against one of the shelves.

"Uhhh, creepy looking with a white BMW?" He yawned. Realization hit me when I remembered the guy who'd been watching him from outside. Why did I have to get him involved in so many new problems? Unless the stalker was completely unrelated to any of the gangs- which was highly unlikely. I made a mental note to stalk the son of a bitch and then kill him.

"Hey- Ethan, please don't get into any trouble because of this it's probably nothing honestly..." He said, rubbing his eyes again.

"How much longer do you have to work Daniel?" I asked, ignoring what he'd said.