Chapter 37

Daniel POV

After a long car ride of Max singing along to songs by Green Day and Angie shouting at him over the music, I finally made it home around five. I thanked them and waved, walking into my house. My mind was on Ethan. I'd meet him after dropping off my bag I'd been lugging with me since after class the day before. I wondered if it'd be awkward to be with him after the kiss. No. I convinced myself. He wasn't like that. After texting him wondering where to meet him I walked up the stairs putting my hands over my ears to ignore the sounds coming from my mother's room.

I slowly pushed the door to my room open and looked around. Something was different. I dropped my backpack on the ground and walked to my dresser. It'd been opened and rummaged through and the cabinet doors in my small bathroom had all been left open. The sheets on my bed were all messed up and my blanket was on the floor. I anxiously looked under my bed and my heart dropped. My dad's laptop was gone.

"Fuck."

I rushed to check the rest of the house but paused when I reached my door. Where the doorknob had once been was a hole. So my mother had been behind the invasion. I stood there seething for a minute before re-entering my room. I slammed the door but it bounced back outward as there was nothing keeping it latched closed. I angrily closed it and shoved my backpack in front so it wouldn't swing back open. I climbed out the window of my room up to the roof. The sky was grey and cloudy, and I lay on my back, trying not to let myself get too angry about my room. I counted my breaths until I heard my phone buzz from next to me. My right arm blindly reached over and felt around until I grabbed it.

I'm coming over now.

My heart fluttered slightly and I mindlessly smiled, putting the phone back to my side. I closed my eyes and listened to the sound of the city and traffic nearby. I felt oddly at peace for a few minutes. I heard the sound of wheels crunching gravel below me and heard Ethan's car engine shutting off. His footsteps were leading to my window. I sat up and crawled to the edge of the roof, peering down at him. He didn't see me. He started climbing up to my room using the window frames.

"Hey." I said, breaking the silence. He looked up and lost his grip, almost falling but caught himself, cursing.

"Shit Daniel you scared the fuck outta me!" He looked up again, I could see a small grin on his face.

"Come up." I said. He pulled himself up with ease and sat next to me, leaning backwards on his hands and hanging his head back, looking at the sky. I looked at him for a few seconds. His usually neat dark hair was sprawled messily and his eyes glazed over as if something else was on his mind. After a bit he sat straighter and looked at me. I tried looking into his eyes but my attention was drawn to below his right eye. There was a large purple bruise circling the inner part of his eye and ending at the top of his cheekbone.

"What happened to your eye?!" I startled him, and he looked confused for a second before realization crossed his face and he rolled his eyes.

"It's nothing, don't worry." I glared at him and moved closer to see it.

"Who punched you?" I asked, feeling a new type of anger boiling in my stomach.

"Seriously Daniel, don't worry. You should see the other guy." I rolled my eyes at his attempt at a joke and crossed my arms. I scanned his face for any other injuries but that seemed to be the only one. "It was just a disagreement with one of the guys, but it's resolved now." I felt uneasy about it but he clearly wanted the discussion to end, so I dropped it. I tried reading his face.

His eyes pierced mine intensely. I looked back at them for as long as I could before breaking the eye contact. He'd always win those. I lay back down and looked at the sky. He kept watching me for a bit and a nervous jittery feeling came to me the longer he did.